Ram Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kroneX, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Hey guys, I am one of those guys who uses a computer a lot for software applications (word, movies etc) but I havn't really dealt with much hardware stuff so here are my questions

I am thinking of upgrading my ram (I currently have 2 x 1 gig of ram) on a Giga-Byte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard

Is it better to get 2 x1 gig of rams to fill up my spare 2 slots (I have 4 slots in total), or can i get away with just putting on 1 x 2 gig ram stick

What are the pros and cons (if there is a problem at all)

thanks again for any help offered

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

2x1GB + 1x2GB will run in 'Flex' memory mode (the pair in dual channel mode, the other stick in single channel mode)

4 x 1GB = all sticks in dual channel mode, which is better

note: some mobos hate all ram slots filled,... so you might be better off taking out the old ones and buy a 2 x 2GB kit

3. kroneX

kroneX New Member

• Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
    • Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
    • Available Memory Slots: 2
    • Total Memory Slots: 4
    • Dual Channel Support: Yes
    • CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    • CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz Model 15, Stepping 11
    • CPU Speed: 2000 MHz
    • Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.
    • (info from www.crucial.com)
    Do I have to install matching pairs?
    A: Yes.
    Your system requires that you install memory in pairs. (does this rule out flex mode?)

can someone check if my mobo can run flex, and if its recommended to run flex mode (its only for playing games)

Secondly here is the product I am thinking of installing (i think its compatible, would someone please double check for me, thank you so much!)

http://www.pcgogo.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=8376 i am planning on installing 2 of these so all my slots will be filled, i hope my mobo doesn't disagree with this.

thoughts and suggestions. thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it will require a pair for dual channel operation
    yes, your mobo has intel's Flex Memory Technology, but forget about it. just buy a pair for better performance.

your mobo supports DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) ram

that A-Data will work but try to avoid buying individual sticks. buy a kit to guarantee that they are a matched pair,.. like this:
    http://www.pcgogo.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1238

also,... note that its best that the 'new' pair matches the 'old' pair
    that is why I would still recommend removing the old ones and just buy 2 x 2GB kit like this one:
    http://www.pcgogo.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4767

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Thank you so much for all your help doomsday I appreciate it! Ill go get it sorted asap.