RAM question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by J52k2, Mar 8, 2006.

1. J52k2

J52k2 New Member

Ok so i just ordered some new ram for my friend, he has a Dell Dimension T700r, specs are:
    Code:
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]     700 MHz internal/100 MHz external[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Intel Pentium III     microprocessor that runs at 100 MHz externally[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I bought him some ram that was the right speed (PC100) and made sure that his mobo supported it (256). When I tested it in his computer, the PC beeped 4 times and failed to boot. I tried it in one of my old PC's that took SDRAM and it also didnt work. I was wondering why this ram didnt work at all. I ordered 2 sticks of it(to total 512) and neither worked. What the hell did i do wrong ?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/specs.htm
    for more indepth specs

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

seems like the right ram to me..

If you removed the existing stick(s) you have to be sure to put the ram in the first slot, usually marked something like 'DIMM 0'.

Also make sure the slot is free of dust or other junk before pushing the stick in, check it seats correctly & the clips lock.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Ram could also be fried? happens some times.

Be careful of ESD (electro-static discharge) etc.

4. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

same shit happened to me last month man..what a fuckin waste of 100 bucks. anyway check if the latency of the ram is supported on the mobo, thats sometimes an issue. also, some computers just dont support tons of ram, like the computer may ony have support for 128 in each slot..

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It could be a capacity problem, but it's not likely. The last computer I had that wouldn't take more than 2x 128MB was a 300MHz Cyrix, back in...god...1997? I'm gonna guess you didn't buy new PC100 SDRAM, not nowadays, so it could be the RAM you got was pulled from a fried computer and the person who chopped the machine didn't bother to find out what parts still worked. If he did, then he couldn't sell them, yeah?

Oh! Here's a thought, did you buy ECC memory? Most cheap computers can't use ECC memory, no matter if it's the right size and speed or not.