RAM question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex__, Jun 12, 2005.

1. alex__

alex__ New Member

Is your computer only as good as the ram you have?
    because, i have what i would consider, a good CPU (3200xp AMD) and GFX (sapphire 9600XT 256mb) card.
    Recently, i upgraded from an athlon 1600 XP to the current 3200 XP. I considered this to be a significant jump in processing power, except i havent noticed any substantial change in performace.
    The ram i have is 512 mb of PC2100... Is this where the problem with perfomance lies... do i need to upgrade to PC3200 in order to get the benefits of the top end CPU? This is probably the case, except i dont want to spend the money ... Cheers

2. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

In a word, YES.

You are now running a Processor that runs a 400 FSB, and ram that has a 266 Speed...

Its gunna be quite obvious, that the ram is gunna get behind whilst trying to keep up with the cpu and the rest of the hardware... Definetly a bottleneck.

Truthfully tho, i wouldnt spend the money on it, with the release of the Athlon 64, the XP's are quite outdated, and a 9600XT is getting quite very slow in modern day terms... It isnt only the rams fault that it isnt not running as you might expect it to.

3. alex__

alex__ New Member

yeah, but the cost of ram is nothing relative to the cost of a whole new computer... so i would still settle for new ram...
    thanks for reply

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not neccessarily. AMD had two chips that were released under the "3200+" name. One was 400MHz FSB, the other was 333MHz.

As for performance, it's a really old design that never really ran well, imo. Upgrading your RAM will help you. But consider a new system, next time.