A&P Rally Colorado 2007

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Airpoppoff, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Me and Nick met up for the RC this year. Defintely nice atmosphere, Different than I expected, almost looks like 2 different rally's because the conditions varied like crazy one day after the other. First day Dusty 85 and not a cloud in the sky, Next day Thunder, lightning, rain, mud and about 40 degrees out. I can't wait to go back next year. Very harsh light in Colorado Highlands for sure.

Full album of images here: http://airpoppoff.com/Extravaganzas/...Colorado/2007/

Fav's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, it has a bike rack on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christian is looking directly at me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thumbs up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:greddy::greddy::greddy::greddy::greddy::greddy:

2. mojito

mojito New Member

nice job matt

3. Airpoppoff

Thanks Corey

4. limiteD*

limiteD* 今あいたい すぐあいたい

Great photos man. Wish I could go watch a rally (and shoot).

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

6. Airpoppoff

Thank you, I was able to get nick a press credential pretty quick, So If you happen to be within the distance of one, Let me know and I'll see what I can work out pending your experience.

7. limiteD*

limiteD* 今あいたい すぐあいたい

I was kind of wondering how you were able to get so close on some photos. I've only shot a handful of motorsports, all from public viewing places :hs: I usually hit up a couple Laguna Seca and Infineon races every year.

8. dano

dano OT Supporter

Some of those shots I'd be leary to get that close, but damn, good stuff!

9. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

wow, those shots are awesome. and to be that close as well..

10. Airpoppoff

:werd:

This shot was probobly the scariest, it was about 2 feet away.

[​IMG]

11. nicklk

nicklk New Member

12. dew

dew Banned

:bowdown::bowdown:

i love this mk2 golf he has a huge rally thread on vwvortex

13. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You should try popping a little bit of fill flash on those wide inside the turn shots. You'll be able to fill in the shadows a bit better and it will give a bit more definition and detail to the shot. They're pretty good as is, but the side of the car being in such shadow bothers me a bit.

Also, a few of those photos dont even look like they're in focus. While the composition might be cool, if the car isnt sharp, it really shouldnt be a keeper shot. Might want to be a little more critical in your editing in the future. These three in particular stood out immediately to me and it doesnt look like its low res compression, it just looks like they simply arent sharp. The first two dont look in focus (and maybe some motion blur) and the last has motion blur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice set though. Good thoughts of looking for compositions that are more than simply closeup shots of all the cars.

14. Airpoppoff

Hahahah that is funny, I didint know you were over there.

He is an excellent driver, Seriously never lifts. Ever.

Thanks Jimmy, I thought about using fill flash, but that was after I took those shots, it was kinda my first time shooting in a corner like that.

The first one of the R32 focus is on the front wheel and the front of the car, In fact alot of my friends and other boards I posted it on (including the driver and co-driver) said it was their favorite shot.

The second one the focus is on the dirt, I know the car is not in focus.

The 3rd I know it has motion blur, I just posted it cause the codriver was staring directly at me.

I've also been messing with the D200 quite a bit as far as what autofocus settings to use and whatsoever for the moving cars, I had it set to wide group focusing and with the lock-on being the fastest, and of course continuous servo. It's what I've had the best results with so far. I change the orientation of the focus usually 2-3 times while the car is moving by.

Thanks again Jimmy your critiques are always much appreciated.

15. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Matt, would you email me any of the pics you got of me in it:big grin: I want some pics of me in a media vest :big grin:

16. Airpoppoff

Yeah I've got a couple, I'll do that later this weekend.

17. nicklk

nicklk New Member

:bigthumb: danke

18. dew

dew Banned

any hi res versions of mk2 golf or any of the 06/07 wrxs :run: i need new wallpaper

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

word!

I'd love hi-res versions of:
    [​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

20. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

21. Airpoppoff

Thats the biggest i've got

22. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Just remember, that most people dont know shit about photography. Look how many people on the internet will ooh and ahh over most of the crap thats posted. Just cause some gusy on the net or even the driver for that matter think its cool, doesnt mean its a great shot.

Sure, you could sell it to him and he might be happy. But what happens when the people that you are really trying to impress see the image with your name on it and know what they are looking at? You get a reputation for posting images that arent in focus.

You need to be really careful about what you show. Self editing is the hardest thing you can do because almost every photo means something to us. Maybe you're a die hard VW fan, you own an R32, you waited in that spot for hours for that car and that shot, whatever, it means much more to you than to others. Therefore the only thing that a photo has to stand on when others view it is the merits of the photo. While some kid on the VW forum might think its awesome cause its an R32 with dirt flying and they know they couldnt have even shot that, it doesnt mean crap to an art director that might see it and only see that the focal point is in a place that doesnt really do much for the photo and you didnt have the ability to edit it out of the keepers.

Know what I'm trying to say?

Again, see above. You see something in them because they mean somethign to you, to others they dont. To me, that dirt is NOT a focal point. Its not even sharp due to the motion. So in other words the shot has no real place to focus in on. No real focal point. The car is the subject and the back of the car is the first thing you see, that is what should be the focal point of the photo. In this case the dirt isnt sharp enough and the car not blurred enough to turn the dirt into the focal point. It just looks like missed focus. If you could have gotten the dirt tack sharp and the car even more blurred, then it might have worked. Unfortunately, imo, it doesnt really work here.

The co-driver looking at you again isnt enough to carry the photo. I never even saw that when I looked at it. I just saw the car, it was a good composition, but the car was blurry and there isnt really a sharp point on it. Motion blur is not always bad if it has a function or if there is at least one portion of the car that is sharp to draw your eye in. Here, its just blurred. And without the co-driver being obvious, it doesnt really carry the photo.

If the front of the car was all blurred and it was a tighter shot and the drivers were tack sharp in the car, then it could work. But it needs to be a composition where the driver is the subject, not the car. In this case they arent, the car is still the subject and that has to be sharp. If you could have pulled in so tight to make the drivers the composition, then you have something.

Anyway, those are a couple of tight critiques on those photos. They arent horrible and obviously they do stand out to folks that arent as picky. However, we need to be more picky than anyone as the people that will see the photos and end up paying the bills are even more picky than we are and those are the ones you need to edit for. Not some group of car lovers on an internet board that say "great shot" to a car standing still and frozen behind catch fencing with the rear end cut off (I've seen it).

Dress to impress, so to speak.

23. Airpoppoff

Yeah, I see exactly what your saying, but my job is not out to impress other photographers, You're the first person I've came across that doesent like that image, I don't give a shit about VW's more than I do a Toyota Prius. I still dont' see how you can say I would get a reputation for posting an image that is not in focus, When it is. All that Aside, I still understand what you are saying, and I try to go by that. but I would call this image an exeption if anything.

I know what you are saying exactly there, I thought that the 2nd picture looked artsy by having the focus on the dirt.

I just posted the one of the co-driver looking at me because I personally know the co-driver and he enjoyed that image, I should have left it out of the gallery and emailed it to him.

All negativity aside I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and critique these, Jimmy.

24. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Nice work as always. Did Travis Pastrana do well?

25. Airpoppoff

He got 3rd, Colorado is not his style after his huge wreck in 04