raid1 sata150 vs sata ii? & 8mb vs 16mb?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by whatrick, Oct 27, 2006.

1. whatrick

whatrick New Member

finally decided to raid 1 my data system as the current single drive (WD sata150 200g 8mb) is sounding clunky :noes: ... but I have a few questions.

I plan on doing this in stages.. purchasing the raid 1 drives one at a time, pulling the old one when it fails or when I absolutely have to have the space. As well I want sata II's for when the system gives out probably in another two years or so. :dunno:

So, with that in mind I am looking to get a 320g drive that is sata II with 16mb (maxtor diamondmax 10) Does anyone know if differing memory combinations can hose things up? and what about the different sata types? the system itself is a few years old so it only will run sata150 (promise pdc20376 integrated on the MB) but as i understand it is required for sata300(ii) drives to backward compatible, right? so it shouldn't be a problem.. should it? :o

as for the upgrade process it is complicated as I have only two sata150 slots and while one works by itself, if there are two in place they only work in a raid configuration. So I put together a plan and then I talked to someone at promise and they thought it could be ok, albeit not ideal.

the plan is when the 200g drive gives out to pull it, putting the new drive descibed above in its place. Next would be to put in a new backup disk (320g or more?) and set up the array again, resulting in two disk copies filling 200g of 320g. So then I would pull the backup, and most likely repartition it to 320g (no longer raid), put the two back in, set it to raid 1 mode so it would be up to 320g. :hs::dunno:

appreciate anyones input. :)

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Yes SATA II drives will work perfectly fine on a SATA I controller (at 150 speeds).

Having two hard drives with different speeds (or different cache sizes) wont be a problem, it will wait for the slow drive :)

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

If your 200 dies, your data will be lost, you will need to create a mirror before that happens. In which case you will only be able to use ~200 of the 320 gigs.

The problem is when you insert the 320g you have choose to mirror either the 200 or the 320 you just inserted. If you choose the 200 (obviously), you will once again only be able to use ~200 of the 320 drive. If you choose the 320 (which is blank), your data will be lost.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Just a comment on the sata 150 vs 3.0

Sata drives have not yet topped out the 150 spec, much less the 3.0 spec.

That's why Western Digital made the newest generation of Raptors with the 150 spec.

5. whatrick

whatrick New Member

yeah i understand until the 200g dies or i run out of space and take the disk off the raid and repartition (i should be able to repartition a previousl raid volume as i understand it will be like a regular disk) i wll be only using 200g of the 320g disk. .. and good tip, i will be extra careful when inserting the drives .. going through all that and losing the data would SUCK.

thanks everybody for the info and verifications, I appreciate your help :) :bowdown: