Raid setup which drive to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Ok here is my situation. I am planning on purchasing another harddrive as I am filling up quickly. A friend was telling me about raid setups and I also wanted to mess around with that. I want to do a setup where it access files from both drives, RAID0 I believe. I currently have

WD 10k 40gb drive that I use mainly for programs and win xp.
    WD 40gb for Vista, messing around
    Seagate 200gb for music, DVDs, pron:cool:

I was thinking of getting another 10k drive setup in RAID0, but I wasn't sure if I would notice that much of a difference. Any suggestions?
    I also thought of getting another 200gb and leave teh 10k drive as is.

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Sure, a RAID 0 with another 10K drive is faster, but you said you were filling up quickly. Are you looking for performance or more capacity?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Keep in mind that RAID0 doubles the chances of data loss. If you had two separate volumes (like a C and a D drive on separate drives) and one drive died, you'd lose the data on that volume. If the drives are in a RAID0 set, then if EITHER drive dies, you lose the whole volume.

4. Kieffer87

Ok well this is what I was thinking if this is possible. I am looking for performance, I needed the space mainly for programs as some of the new games these days are getting pretty hefty. Is there a way I could run the 2 raptors in a RAID setup and use the remaining 40gb drive as a backup?

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Just define the array to include the two Raptors and leave the 3rd drive out of it. It'll be a separate drive that you can use for whatever.

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Sure, sounds like a good idea.

7. Kieffer87

Right but I guess im just saying if a drive were to take a crap I would have a backup. The raptor I have now is probably close to 3 years old so I would imagine I shouldnt have to worry about it crapping anytime soon:noes:

On a second note, Does a raid setup usually double your HDD performance or how does that work?

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

It wouldn't double your performance, but in certain applications it can be noticably faster.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Real RAID controllers can have what's called a hot spare. Its a blank drive that's connected and running all the time. If the RAID controller detects a failed drive, it immediately rebuilds the failed drive's data onto the spare. That doesn't work in RAID0 because there's no fault tolerance like with higher levels of RAID. If a drive dies under RAID0, the data's just gone and it makes the surviving member's data useless.

10. Kieffer87

Alright thanks alot guys you have been great help!

11. saying everything is done right, and the computer is adequately cooled also, what are the chances (this frequent?) you think this would happen, what are the major factors ?

if volume is lost, then you can still reformat and use the drives right ?

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Drives fail. Its just the way it is. Cooling them certainly helps but can't guarantee you won't have a failure. If a volume got corrupted (logical errors) you could reformat and reuse, same as with a single disk. If one of the drives failed, you'd have to replace it, reestablish the stripe set, and go from there.

13. websmarts

websmarts New Member

Where can you buy the raid soft ware ?

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You either have it built into your motherboard, you add a card, or you use the software RAID built into your OS. You don't buy RAID software.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Suck it up and do it right. Buy three matching 75GB Raptors -- and a RAID card to plug them into, if you don't have one yet. Don't use software RAID.

RAID drives don't just fail due to hardware problems. They also fail when the data they contain doesn't match up with what the RAID math says the data should be. On a RAID 0 setup, there is no way to reconstruct your data if one of the drives doesn't empty its cache memory before it gets shut off, for example. Hard resets will fail RAID drives like nothing else. If you're going to do RAID, you absolutely must avoid RAID 0 for anything besides temporary file storage.

16. Kieffer87

interesting. Ill keep that in mind.