RAID setup: drives showing up as non-raid

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coddle, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Just bought 2 80gb WD SATA drives to set up as a RAID 0 for a bootup disc. Problem is when I go to setup the RAID in the RAID BIOS, the drives (along with all of my other drives) show up as Non-RAID Drives. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P and my HDD's are a Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB

Do I need to format the drives before they are recognized?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if they aren't already in a raid array, they are non-raid drives. "non-raid" is just how your raid bios distinguishes from connected drives already in arrays and connected drives not in arrays, it does not mean that they are not capable of being in a raid array. look for the option to create a raid array, create and add them to it, then they will show up as RAID 0 drives instead of non-raid drives.

3. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Thats the problem, I go into the RAID BIOS and i goto the section to create a RAID (0 for my case). It asks me the name I want, stripping size, and when i finally get to go choose my HDD's, all of them are "greyed" out and unselectable. I can't seem to find anything relevant to this problem online at all either. I even set the settings in the BIOS to RAID

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

You check the user manual for your motherboard? You should not need to format the drives before you can use them.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

lol having a similar problem. mine are stuck on JBOD i can't even select an array

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't think Caviar Blue drives are suitable for RAID use; drives used in a RAID need to be programmed to respond very quickly to requests, either with data or with a Please Wait response; if they don't, the RAID controller will assume they've failed and are unresponsive. I don't know if your RAID controller is programmed to only use certain types of hard drives, but it's possible.

Most likely you're just doing it wrong though.

7. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

Any harddrive can be raided. Which motherboard connectors are you connecting these drives too the yellow or purple ones? That motherboard has 2 raid controllers 6 (yellow) connectors controlled by the south bridge and have the raid bios outside the main bios and the 2 (purple) connectors controlled by a separate chip which has it's bios inside the main system bios. Use the intel yellow connectors if you're not already as they are better.

8. Homeless

Homeless New Member

Assuming you're using the ICH10R controller on the board (yellow slots), enable raid in bios then ctrl+i to set it up. I have a ud3p and have no problems setting up raid