Raid Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ThackerSS, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ThackerSS

ThackerSS I Keel You.

I am building a VM box to run a full lab to study for my MCSA / MCSE tests....

I am building a quad core, 8 gig of ram box. The hard drive configuration I have come up with is as follows.

74gb 10k rpm Raptor for OS drive

2 250 gb perp read 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 using the motherboard for speed on the VM's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

C: would be roughly 74 gigs
    D: would read roughly 500 gigs

Now my question is.. this is possible... right? I can run one drive.. the boot drive by it's self. And then run 2 others in RAID 0 via the mobo?

I should know this... however I am limited on my experience with workstation raid.

Thanks for the input.

2. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Yea, mine runs a 300gig main drive and then a 1.82TB raid 5 secondary. So I see no problems running a single drive an then a raid 0 with 2 drives on the mobo seeing as I'm running a 6 drive raid 5 on my mobo. Not recommended for safety reasons, but whatever I'm cheap and nothing on the raid is that crucial to me.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You want to store virtual machines on a RAID0? Are you crazy or stupid or both? RAID0 is not stable enough to handle file I/O requests for multiple VMs at once, and even if it were, you'd lose all your VMs if anything went wrong.

VMs run slow. You can't avoid it. It's not the hard drive that's slowing them down, it's the virtualization itself. Get a faster CPU and a shit-ton of RAM if you want faster VMs. You could buy a separate Raptor for each VM and get better performance, too.

If you still want a RAID, suck it up and buy at least three drives so you can have a RAID5 and not lose all your shit the first time the power blinks.

4. ThackerSS

ThackerSS I Keel You.

I ended up buying 3 250gig drives for raid 5. The performance will be adequate for what I need.. a virtual lab for learning networking.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Like I said before, another option is to put one or two VMs on each drive, without RAIDing the drives first. That way, VMs stored on separate drives can operate completely independent of each other, whereas if the drives are RAIDed, all data requests have to stand in the same queue with each other until the RAID can process them all. Granted, the RAID will transfer data faster than single drives can, but multiple single drives can process multiple data requests simultaneously.