Raid question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Doc Brown, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

When you run raid for backup purposes, is there any way to select what will be backed up?
    I'm putting together a core 2 duo build, and the intel board has raid so I was thinking of running a redundant backup.
    Three drives total, two for backup. That's 0 + 1?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No.

Mirroring is not meant as a form of backup. It's meant for increasing the availability of storage. RAIDSETS and MIRRORSETS protect you from hardware issues and what not, but not file corruption, user error (oh shit, I mistakenly deleted … ), etc.

You can control what is on your MIRRORSET like any other partition that you have in windows. Say your MIRRORSET is the E:\. You can put your critical stuff there, pics, email, etc. But you can’t do what you’re implying. Say your disks are mirrored and you have everything on it C:\ which include OS, Apps, etc.. You cannot selectively mirror just say the C:\Program Files. It doesn’t work like that. It mirrors on a block by block level, not above that.

Your three drives can be either used in a RAID5set, 2+1 parity, 1 jbod and a mirror or stripeset.

I don’t know of many home pc pseudo raid controllers that can do RAID5. So your best bet is a single disk/jbod and a mirrorset.

None of this has to do with backups, which should do periodically if you are so inclined.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Aren't you confusing issues?? Your policy for what gets backed up (individual files, incremental or full, etc) and the location of the backup (tapes, Raid Array, NAS, etc)?? The policies are set up in your back up software....you also have to give it a target location but the two issues are different but related. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

4. Doc Brown

I think I'll have to just keep backing up the critical stuff on my own like I've been doing then.

I've put a lot of time into organizing my backup drives, and I'd hate for it to get all messed up by adding every little thing that I do in them.

5. Doc Brown

btw, the board is a DG965OT and it supports raid 0, 1, 10,5 and Intel® Matrix RAID