Raid problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, May 28, 2008.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Alright so I have an onboard raid 5 setup on my Asus P5N32-SLI Premium board and it runs fine (yea I know onboard, not recommended but it works). So introduce RocketRaid 1740 onto mobo with no drives. Everything boots fine. Hook a couple drives to it and it boots into windows but.......original 1.8tb raid now reads as unformatted space. Scary shit. Shut down computer unhook new drives from card and reboot. 1.8TB raid back in business no data loss. Plug sata drives into card while booted......tada all drives working together and transferring data to one another. Reboot, only drives on the card show up as formatted. So............ideas? Because I'm running way low on any.

2. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

My main idea is to wait until my other 2 matching drives come today for the raid card, move all the data off the original raid onto these drives, boot up and recreate the original onboard raid while the card and drives are hook up and then move all the data back so I can create another raid on the card. Anyone have any less pain in the ass ideas that I'm probably missing.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like your motherboard can only handle one add-on bootable device (technically the onboard RAID controller counts as an add-on). I know my motherboard just has one extra bootable-device option called "SCSI", which is intended to be used for any single disk controller, regardless of whether it's really SCSI or not.

I think your plan to hemshigga the two RAIDs so they play nice just long enough to copy data to the newer one is the best approach.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Do you think I'll be able to run both at the same time after I rebuild the original raid with the card/new drives installed?

5. deusexaethera

If you rebuild both RAIDs on the same card, it should be fine. It doesn't look like it's gonna work with two cards, though.

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

7. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Well new update. It seems that I can run 2 raids on the machine, but I still can't boot with them both at the same time so I still have to plug in the second set of raid drives after it passes a certain point in the bios. Any ideas guys because as of now I'm going to dick around in the bios a bit but I'm not very familiar with shit in there and likely end up adding a switch to the power cable feeding those 4 drives so I can switch them on and off without having to open the case. Any ideas would be fantastic if you guys can think of anything before I have to rig this up.

8. deusexaethera

Something else to try, if you have the option to do so:

1. Disable the "Boot Option ROM" on the slot with the RAID card you don't want to boot from.

2. Disable "Interrupt 13" on (see above).

Either of those should keep the card you're not trying to boot up with from interfering with the boot process.

I still think you should just rebuild both arrays on the newer card.

9. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I should probably just switch it out to a 4 port sata controller and say fuck the raid, it doesn't really need to be raided I guess. At least the controller wouldn't probably cause any problems.