RAID Experts get in here...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dtfromep, May 8, 2006.

1. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I have been searching everywhere I can think of to find a software raid-5 solution that supports capacity expansion (the windows server 2003 version apparently will not do this - but feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Basically, what I am looking to do is configure my (currently 4) 320GB SATA drives into a raid-5 array, but plan on adding more drives as needed (without losing the existing data). I am open to non-windows solutions, or even some hardware options if they are reasonably priced for 8 or more SATA ports.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Doesn't software raid 5 KILL the CPU?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes. RAID 3 is much more processor-friendly, though the cheapest hardware-accelerated RAID controller > the best software RAID.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

define "reasonably priced"

5. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

To answer all of the above, I am not worried about CPU usage - the processor is fast enough and the system's sole purpose is to get data from the soon-to-be raid array onto a gigabit network.

Reasonably priced (for a non-business environment) would be the $300-$400 range if it will take more than 6 or 8 drives. Performance is not an issues, as these will be larger less-freqently accessed files, I just can't afford to mirror them (though maybe it would be cheaper if HW raid is the only way to go??).