raid crew v.?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

If your system is stuck during boot at the raid portion you cannot get into the bios or the raid config much less... find the drive that is bad replace it, rebuild array but sticks again on boot the onboard raid shot or the drive I replace which is only off by .2 in geometric size enough for the raid to complain? Drive is the same type but I think the size is only off by a couple points 160.7 vs 160.9 This is raid 10 4x160 sata

2. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

You're running your OS on a RAID?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I have a RAID 3 running on 17 1.44 megabyte floppy drives. The big floppy ones. I use that bad boy for my Vista blue screen cache.

Thinking about upgrading to 2.88 meg drives, but I like the flexible disks and those are hard.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Windows 2003 R2. Going to reload the system actually found that another drive is bad so I'm guessing that is why it was stuck. Going down to Raid 1 for now be done with it

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i have a raid question too, but i don't know if it's deserving of its own thread.

so im going to replace the hard drives that make the raid 1 in our server here at work. they're old and i got some new ones with more space, so i have some questions.

the replacement hard drives don't have to have the same specs right? do i just do this by removing one of the hard drives and replace it with a new one (it's 2 in raid 1), rebuild the array, then remove the other hard drive, and rebuild the array again?

and once i've done that can i resize the partition using regular acronis software or the such?

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

The new drives do not have to be the same as the old. It is recommended however that the new drives be the same with each other.

Yes, replace one drive and rebuild, then replace the other and rebuild.

As for expanding out the RAID volume, depending on your controller you should be able to do this within the controller software without any data destruction. You can't just resize the partition in Windows b/c unless you expand the logical volume in the controller software, Windows will not see the new space. Windows only sees what the controller tells it (and when I say Windows I mean any/all other software as well).

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

hmm, i hope the controller software can do it. it's just some onboard raid controller built into a asus mobo. all this software is just accessible on boot up, right?

8. dissonance

I've never used onboard RAID. Look through your manual to make sure it can do a non-destructive expansion (I imagine it can).

I imagine you can access it during boot. Again, check your manual to see how to get into it.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You absolutely must replace old drives with new drives that are the same size OR BIGGER. Smaller won't work.

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

thanks captain obvious

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Apparently it's not that obvious.
    Never underestimate the power of Joe User to ignore the obvious. This way he has nobody to blame but himself if things don't work out.

12. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

My situation is a little weird I can understand one drive but not two at the same time. It was working before I pulled it out I guess moving them around from one system to another must of been just enough. My biggest challenge will be exchange and blackberry exchange I know jack shit about them :hs:

13. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

so since windows sees the raid as one drive how are you suppose to tell which drive is failing?

14. dissonance

Your RAID controller firmware should tell you what drive is in which slot. This isn't necessarily correct if you switch out drives or move a RAID. I went through this issue when I first got my 1TB drives trying to figure out which was the dead one (running RAID-5, so if I pulled the wrong one it could be bad).

In an optimal situation, you would have the drives in a drive enclosure with lights on the front that would then indicate which drive is the failed one.

15. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

System has been on for the last two days I reinstalled Windows 2003 twice, first time I forgot my admin password lol and my password reset program wouldn't work so I had to start over... anyway second time around reinstalled, got all the updates and packs needed. Installed DNS/AD/IIS/Exchange.. got a couple more updates now it won't power off or restart. I uninstalled the last seven updates that I got and it still won't power off or restart without having to hold in the button.

Just sitting there trying to think whats wrong and blue screen pops up just out of no where.... 0x000077 kernel ip page error. Research shows possible bad drive :hsd: I ran self smartctl tests, both drives pass. Consistency checks out ok, onboard array must be bad or theres a bad sector on one of the drives :hs:

16. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!