Raid card suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Looking seriously at upgrading my raid card. I have a RocketRaid 1740 currently but I'd like to expand out to to 8 drives on one card so I can have 7 drives useable in raid 5. I was looking at some of the higher end rocketraid cards and reading fairly good things about them except their support but I haven't really had a problem with mine so they seem like a quality product. I was just wondering if anyone had personally used or have known people to use 8 port cards and what you would suggest. Looking to run eight 1-1.5tb drives in raid 5. I want a card that will show that at the 7ish TB and not autocarve it into 2tb arrays. What do you suggest?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Is this just for a file storage array or is performance important? Im assuming by saying you are planning on using 1 or 1.5 TB drives that you are not really in need of a super fast array.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

RocketRAID cards aren't bad... pretty cheap for what they offer. I would personally go for a 3ware card. They perform well, and have really good support.

4. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

how bout dell perc 5i, i heard those works well, support up to 8 SATA drives, ~$150 on ebay

if you wanna sell your 1740 for cheap let me know, im in des moines and may be interested

5. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Yea I'm just looking for sheer storage ability. Speed I couldn't care less about in this situation. I'll definitely have to take a look at that dell and a few of the 3ware cards and see how the price and reviews compare. I hadn't even thought about selling my 1740 but I'll definitely let you know if I go that route. I'll probably end up selling that and the four 750's attached to it once I get my new array bought and setup. I'll have six 400's to sell at the time too even though they probably aren't worth selling at this point. Wouldn't be for a couple months though, gotta get moved and figure out the finances with getting married and all that before I can buy any more toys.

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Bump, s2k, I am going to sell that 1740 soon but I wanted to give you first dibs on it since you expressed interest first. I'm open to offers. I was thinking something like 50 shipped but I haven't really looked to see what they're going for so that'll just be my starting point.

7. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Oh, as for the one I chose, I ended up getting a 3ware 9590se 12 port for $175. Some guy took it when a business upgraded their servers and apparently wanted to just make a quick buck because it was about 100 cheaper than the next lowest priced one I could find. Works flawlessly and does everything I could need it to.