Raid 5 crew v. addanotherdrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MeanGreen, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I already have my raid 5 setup with 3 300gig drives. I'm filling up the aval. 600g quicker then I expected so i ordered another drive before I couldn't find them again. Figured it would put me in the safe so i wouldn't be running the bare min of disk and give me some more storage.

I already have the bios setup to allow all 6 sata ports to be aval. for raid configs. Now when I actually install the drive, will it show up in the list of aval. disk in my array controller? If so can I just add it to the Raid 5 so it spans across the 4th disk and then just rebuild it?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends on the controller. Usually you can init the drive for the array, and have the array rebuilt. But not all controllers support this *cough* Promise *cough*

3. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

alright then, well if it doesn't i will atleast have a spare around. I really wish that the controller supportd a hot spare but it doesn't. was just going to use that until i needed extra space.

I really wish that damn nivida monitoring software would work again. They came out with a version for vista but it doesn't see any of the array information. I installed the newest vista drivers and all for the board since they finally came out. Wondering if it is just some kind of stupid RC2 issue. I need to at RCM copy cause i can't even use stupid stuff such as the dvd maker i'm hearing so much about but freezes every time i try and use it.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm not a fan of nVidia chipsets anymore. To be honest, I've become fairly sour to AMD within the last couple years. Too bad... Used to be a big fan. Intel has proven, however, that although other companies may come out with an eye-turner every now and then, Intel is still king (IBM has this same position)

5. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I agree. I was helping my brother set up RAID on my old nForce4 board and installing Vista was more complicated than it should have been. I also remember the huge problems with NCQ on the nForce4 SATA controllers where eventually you would get data corruption in which case I lost a lot of my data.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

None of this is convincing me that I made a bad decision when I bought a NetCell card. Sadly, they are out of business now.