Raid 1 Failed, how do I recover data?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mystix, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mystix

mystix OT Supporter

I have 2 320gb HD on a Adaptec 2410SA Raid card.

Over the weekend my raid 1 failed and it was indicated that one of the drives have failed. I have no clue on how to recover the data. When I tried connecting the working drive directly to the computer, it recognizes as unallocated space and cannot read any files.

-There is no option to rebuild array, I am only able to delete array which I assume will delete my data.
    -I tried going on Adaptec's website and it recommended me to delete the Raid table which was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any solutions that I can try? Should I attached the working drive to my computer and try recovery software?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

replace the nonfunctional drive. there should be some raid software somewhere depending on your raid controller to rebuild the array

I used to use some intel software in vista x64

3. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Normally when you swap in a working drive, the card will detect it an rebuild the array automatically - although you may have to initiate this in software. Rebuilding the array will take some time, be prepared for a wait.

4. mystix

mystix OT Supporter

Its weird, I am able to connect the "broken" drive to my computer and also formatted it. I also ran WD's diagnostic tool to see if there are any bad sectors and there wasn't any.

I connected the hard drive to another port and it still doesn't allow me to rebuild the array.

If I should still try another hard drive, will it be an issue that I use a different drive altogether? I have a spare 640gb laying around.

5. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

the raid partition size will obviously be limited to the size of the smaller drive, but afaik it should work

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't fix a RAID using a disk smaller than the one you're replacing. There's nowhere for the extra data on the remaining good disk to get copied. EDIT: Oh, you want to replace the dead disk with a bigger one; yeah, that'll work, but my advice below is still the best option.

RMA the dead drive and get a replacement of equal or larger size, plug it in, and the RAID card should either ask you if you want to rebuild, or it will start rebuilding automatically. Until then, you can continue to run off the one good disk.

ANOTHER EDIT: You can't just plug a RAIDed drive into a computer that doesn't have a similar RAID card, and expect it to work. But you have a RAID 1, so either of the two disks should work fine by itself in the original computer. Why aren't you just booting up from the one good disk?

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah you should be able to just pull the bad drive, throw in another drive of equal or great space, go into your raid software (normally this is when you boot the computer) and find the raid array and rebuild it. Not much more to it really.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I hope you did this to the "dead" drive and not the good one....

But like others said, just replace the bad drive with a new one. When you reboot your computer there should be a key you can press to go into the RAID controller's setup. From there, you can rebuild the array if it doesn't do it on its own. Or you can install the Window's (or whatever OS you use) based management software and manually tell it to rebuild from there. The only thing with that is you have to have a password set for your login account in order to use all the options.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think there's something missing here guys. If one drive of a RAID1 array fails, it should still boot without it. You shouldn't have to rebuild the array for this to work (yes ultimately you will, but in the interim, it should still work without it). So if your system won't boot, without the damaged drive plugged in, I don't see much hope in recovering your data.

10. mystix

mystix OT Supporter

dissonance: I wasn't able to delete the raid table because I couldn't get to the hidden menu
    - I did format the "failed" drive and appears to work normal
    - I am trying to extract files from the one optimal drive, have not change a thing with it yet.

5gen:
    -I used the raid 1 as storage and another drive to load the OS.
    -When I boot the system it shows degraded and the drive cannot be accessed.

I tried connecting another drive just now and is still not having any success.

[​IMG]
    Port#0 Contains the optimal drive, and my data
    Port#1 is the 640gb that I was hoping it would start building array
    port#2 was the "fail" drive

[​IMG]
    It doesn't recognize any other drive except the one in port#0. Does not give me an option to rebuild array.

[​IMG]
    Here are the available options

I don't think I will be able to rebuild through those options. Do I have any other options at my disposal? Connect the good drive to my computer and run recovery software?

11. 5Gen_Prelude

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: The RAID controller should tell you which drive is degraded, just replace that drive and tell it to rebuild.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, there's really no reason why it shouldn't be working with a single drive, unless you acidentally wiped the good one, or the RAID card itself is forked.

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

You have to initialize the new drive and set it as a hot spare in order for the controller to use it in a rebuild.

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd:

16. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh, right forgot that step :coold:

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

now would be a good time to make a backup of the data on the existing good drive

then rma the bad one like deus said

18. mystix

mystix OT Supporter

Good advice guys, Im clearing the drive now and will keep you guys updated.