Raid 0

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HuntingFork, Mar 30, 2005.

1. HuntingFork

HuntingFork Eating Five Batteries

I currently have an 80GB SATA hard drive and I want to add another one in the RAID 0 configuration. When I do this, do I have to wipe the first drive or can I just set up the RAID configuration and not lose my current data?

Also, does anyone have any links to information explaining how to set up RAID 0?

2. Conrad10781

Conrad10781 New Member

Your best bet if you are going to setup a Raid-0 Config is to pick up a cheap Promise 100Tx i think the model is. Has 2 ports and can run from your PCI slot. It will come with all the documentation to set the raid up. If you want to back up the data, your best bet is to get something like acronis true image, or ghost (I prefer true image, but either way is fine.) You may want to make sure that the 2nd one is as close as possible to the 1st, IE both have 8MB buffers, and run at 7200 rpm etc. to ensure any stability. You will soon find that raid0 is not the popular choice of raid.

3. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

You will have to wipe your drive when creating any RAID array including RAID 0 so make sure you back up first.

If you do not have a RAID controller you'll need to buy one as suggested above, for RAID 0 a 2 port controller will be fine.

Identical drives are very highly recommended. If you do not have identical drives be aware your total performance will be limited by the slower and/or smaller drive.

Quick warning too just in case you'd not considered it. With RAID 0 if one drive dies you will lose all data on the Array, there is no parity and there is no way to recover or rebuild the data. For this reason a good back-up system would be a worthwhile investment.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

RAID 0 is teh suck. Most of the time disk delays are in reading, not writing. RAID 1 makes this faster, and you get redundancy.

And please refrain from using a promise card. They suck goat balls.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do NOT do it.

6. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

I agree.. do NOT do it. Raid 0 is just not worth it!

7. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

I have it and it works fine. But as we all know, all OT'ers store critical information on their computers, and certainly don't have any means of alternative backup! so obviously it's not a good choice for you :rolleyes:

8. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!