MIL RAF Lakenheath

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pseudonymous, Feb 25, 2008.

1. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

Has anyone here been stationed at Lakenheath? My husband and I are PCS'ing there late this summer, and any information anyone that's been there can give me would be fantastic.
    I don't care if it's something little like 'the roads suck' or 'stay away from so-and-so restaurant'.

:bigthumb:

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

First we need some verification.

Some nude pics would suffice. :coolugh:

3. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

You need verification of what? That I do indeed have a vagina? I seriously doubt that's in any way relevant.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

you bought a sub to ask that?

5. EYOB

EYOB Guest

You have much to learn my young padawan.

6. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

yes im there right now what do you want to know!? ask away

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Evan2 was just there. My first son was born at Mildenhall (twin base for Lakenheath).

Ask away.

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Not in Teh Barracks. :nono:

9. evan2

evan2 Guest

Im not stationed there old man, Im at fairford which is 150 miles away
    though Ive been there a bunch of times and have a bunch of friends out there...

I can speak for England and a bit about Lakenheath but more versed in my own base

Id rather be there then mildenhall, you have a nice big fairly new hospital, huge commisary
    bx is decent too though mildenhall has more of the outdoors stuff and feltwell which isnt to far has the furniture store

where do you guys workk?

10. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

No actually I bought a sub because I've been without a good message forum for almost a year now and was looking for a new one. I typically lurk for a week or so before I actually post any threads of my own. But I saw the barracks and would like as much info on Lakenheath before I get there as I can get. All I know about it is what military wives have told me and really they're typically somewhat insane (not exluding myself by any means lol) and like to exaggerate shit.

Any good areas to look for housing, or sites to search for off base housing. Is living off base around there even worth it?

11. evan2

evan2 Guest

Well if you are coming from the US and have never been overseas
    You will get OHA not BAH. Basically whatever your rent is you get, if its over your cap you go out of pocket

You should get a nice place for your oha since married though unsure of rank but should be fine.

I think base housing there is ok, you can contact the housing office there

I wouldnt buy a home at all and cannot speak on the area

You should have a sponsor answering all of your mans questions though...

12. flipflop

Yes very worth it. I know single airman that are off base and they get 750 pounds a month for a house so if you're married and have kids its a ton more. You get two weeks to look for a house, and i took my new guy to get a house in a new building project called Red Lodge. Nice houses and 7 min drive from base.

13. evan2

evan2 Guest

you get 8 days house hunting... not 2 weeks

14. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

Sweet 8 days. Sounds like I'll be having tons of fun for the first week.
    Anyone brought an animal over?

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

If you have a dog he needs rabies shots and when we got orders I only had like 4 month notice so we left it with my inlaws for 3 months instead of the quarantine....

got divorced over here and bought a bengal...

Though my ex wife handled most of the nonsense with the dog as I was in ALS before I left in 05 plus trying to outprocess

16. flipflop

nope 2 weeks including weekends for house hunting i just took a new guy through this process you dont live at raf lakenheath.

17. evan2

evan2 Guest

ITs always been 8 duty days, that is an AF standard I believe
    if his unit gave him extra days that is fine...

18. evan2

evan2 Guest

When do I "house hunt" after basic training?

Married personnel can be given 8 days for "house hunting." The days do not count against your vacation time (leave). The restrictions for "house hunting" (called Permissive TDY) are: (1) must be taken in area of assigned base, (2) must be taken immediately after basic, and (3) personnel "sign-in" to the base after finding a place to live or the 8 days have been used.

19. flipflop

like i said you didnt inprocess at lakenheath that could be so, for every other base but she asked about lakenheath i have had numerous first term airman get 2 weeks off for looking for a house both in my squadron and others.

20. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

AFI 36-3003 Table 7 states that Members going on permissive TDY (PTDY) for house hunting are authorized 10 duty days PRIOR to signing out of their losing base. Members are authorized 8 duty days if they choose to take PTDY for house hunting AFTER signing into their gaining unit.

With that being said... I have never received less than 10 duty days (2 weeks) for house hunting at a new base... :wavey:

So that will depend on your supervisor/unit commander. . .

21. flipflop

oh snap thanks.

22. evan2

evan2 Guest

So we were both right in a way, and like I said every base is diffferent

you dont even know where this dude is going.....unit wise

23. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

Thanks for the information on bringing a pet. I've already looked at DEFRA's website, and Anubis (my puppy) has already been microchipped and rabies vaccinated, he has an appointment for Thurdsay to have his blood test done. Hopefully my husband will get the extension on orders he's been pushing for, if he does chances are we won't have to leave Anubis in the states with a relative to get around quarantine.
    Ugh, it sounds terrible but I really am not looking forward to my husband getting back from Afganistan (I mean I miss him terribly and want my damn husband back and all) but as soon as that happens that means I have to go back to actively paying attention to the pcs process, and thinking about that makes me a little pukey. LOL

So for those of you that are of have been there did you like it? I've heard it's terribly expensive unless you buy pretty much everything from the base.

24. evan2

evan2 Guest

I love and hate england, im in a smaller area then you and also more expensive but most say the cotswolds where I am is the most beautiful of England

We get more cola though and it does help but I tend to go out a lot plus my commisary is shit so when you want to eat different things you shop downtown plus the produce is always shit on base

so I shop downtown a lot...and go out but still have been saving/investing since ive been here...almost 3 years

you being at a big base can get a lot of things you need on base though...I have no clothing sales, no food court on base.........hardly anything

25. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

Anyone know what the base housing is like? Is it hard to get into?