A&P Radiopopper JrX studio...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jshively, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Am I reading this right in that the JrX Studio will still fire the SB900 however, you have to keep the SB900 in manual and cannot adjust power from the transmitter?

I now have a couple friends wanting me to take some pictures of them and their family and of course it is going to be done outdoors (damn weather turning nice). Did some test shots last night and was having a bitch of a time getting the commander mode to fire outdoors.

Paired with birthday money makes me want to spend money......

2. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

i have these poppers myself.

i dont think you can remotely adjust the power of hotshoe flashes in general without their RBCube thing, which has yet to be released. from what i've read, you can fire the SB900, but you won't ever be able to remotely adjust power even when the RBCube is released

3. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Alright so not a huge deal at all then.

Lately all I have been doing is setting manual on my flashes but I really do not think any solution is going to have everything what I want in it anyways.

For example, I love the fact that I can set manual on commander mode and adjust the power from the camera.

How do you like the poppers?

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

i think it's pretty weak that it can't control the 900's.

I'll just keep buying 800's as long as I can and hope they find a way to do it by the time I get forced into a 900...

5. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:werd:

I like the 900 a lot but for the price I could have easily got 2 600s. The bitch is the 600s do not PC ports (I know hot shoe solves that but it still ticks me off that they could have included the feature and I gladly would have paid 30 more for it).

I just picked up the studio set with 1 transmitter and 1 receiver. I was going to go for a cheaper solution but I did not want to buy a solution and turn around in 6 months and upgrade.

If I am outdoors I can probably just get away with a SB900.

Indoors I will just use commander mode with the 900 and needed the 600. I love commander mode just wish it worked better outdoors :wtc:

Will I ever be happy? Probably not.

6. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

the main reason i picked them up over the much cheaper cactuses was because reviews say the poppers are much more reliable (ive read the cactuses are "reliable for the price", which to me means not really as reliable as one would hope), while still much cheaper than a set of PWs. so far they've been pretty great: 100% fire rate, and i live in a city too

7. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

I picked up the studio set and the nice thing is they have 30 day guarantee even for happiness.

I could not justify the PW no matter how hard I try and I have been trying.

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

don't get me wrong, they're still pretty awesome triggers. But the whole point of getting the studio is control and integration with studio strobes.

I actually have had them trigger an AB800 AND a sb800 at the same time, and been able to adjust power on both right from the transmitter. It was the greatest thing ever. I loved it.

I was gonna replace my drowned 800 with a 900, but that would be a big mcsteak, I think. Prolly just gonna find another 800 and stick with what works.

9. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

err?? i was under the impression they can't control hotshoe flashes yet, guess i was wrong... can you 'splain how?

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

11. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Does anyone know which cable would I need to use the receiver with the SB900?

From what I was reading on strobist it does not come with the correct cable for dumb SB operation.

While we are on the subject, the remotes do ship with batts and a good selection of sync cords (props for that). But they do not ship with the standard 1/8-to-PC cord needed for straight, dumb manual Nikon SB operation. Hopefully, RP will source that cord. Or maybe hook up with Lon at Flash Zebra or something.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/08/radiopopper-jrx-will-make-you-fat-and.html

edit: found it...well flash zebra e-mailed me the answer: http://flashzebra.com/wizardcables/screwlock.shtml

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. s14brent

s14brent Active Member

its not the poppers fault it cant control the 900, the sb900 doesnt has a different proprietary TTL vs sb600/800. you can still manually control it with a popper with a pc sync-to- mini cable.

you can contact dude from this thread, i bought mine from him before he started selling to everyone. his prices may be high, but its worth it if you don't want to buy the cables, hack the cables, and do the soldering.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/854383/0?keyword=jrX#7985718

13. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

That part does not bother me it is just the lazy factor of do I want to solder and deal with it. For right now I will just be happy to have a solution that works outdoors.

14. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

For the record if anybody needs cables highly recommend flashzebra.

I e-mailed them to ask them a question and had an exact answer within an hour.

They also shipped the next day after placing the order with shipping confirmation.