SRS Radiologic Technology program

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Deer, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Deer

Deer OT Supporter

Any radiologic tech's in here? They offer a radiologic technology program at community college. I've always thought about getting into something in the medical field that didn't require med school, and doesn't need a lot of patient contact.

Are there any opportunities for advancement?

2. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

i did an internship in hs in a radiology dept. the pay is fairly good i would say. some of the guys that had been there a decade or more were making $25 an hour (very low cost of living area too) you can do radiology for awhile, and branch out into ultrasound, nuclear medicine, or go on to get a bachelors and be the boss of the department.

i did not end up choosing this path as a career, but it was nice because you could work anywhere in the hospital from day to day as you desired. as opposed to a nurse who generally is hired by one department (ICU, L&D, ER, OR, etc). All parts of the hospital need x-rays, and from my experience, the tech had the opportunity to work OR for a week or so, and then ER, etc. it never got real boring too soon.

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

piggy backing off what spaceering mentioned. I know a few people who went the rad. tech path and they enjoy it, pay is decent, and i have a few peers in my health management class who are rad. techs who want to go on and be managers, directors, etc. and being a clinician helps to move up in the field if you choose to

4. Deer

Deer OT Supporter

So you can go on to be a manager, etc, without going to med school? I was under the impression that the doctor who went to med school to be a full fledged radioloigist was the one in charge of everything.

From what I can tell, the community college near me only offers one rad. tech. program, they don't offer anything to take after completing that. Where do you obtain additional training to advance or branch out into other areas?

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i'm unsure if you need to be a radiologist to manage a radiology dept. but i am sure you can go on and get a bachelor's/masters to manage other health care departments or programs. plenty of people do it w/o a medical/clinical background

if you want to get into some type of management program, i'm pretty sure you'd need at least a bachelor's degree.

6. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I was going to school for this but once I was told that when you're not busy doing your normal radiology tasks, they send you to do the dirty work as well. Such as cleaning/washing pee, shit from patients, etc....This turned me off so I backed out of it. From what I was told you're also basically a 1/4 time nurse. :ugh:

7. huskerfoos

huskerfoos New Member

Yes, you can advance. Ultrasound, most places you don't even have to have a RT degree to get in. You can cross train in MRI and CT. And Nuc Med and Rad Therapy are generally done at universities. And also, Washburn University offer Therapy online.

As far as cleaning the patients, if they are in your care, why wouldn't you?

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

That's what nurses are for.

9. cbanta

cbanta New Member

I work at a hospital, not in radiology, the radiologist is just a Dr. in the radiology department, they get paid alot and have enough work reading studies, they don't have anything to do with managing the department.

From what I've seen, the rad techs only see patients when getting xrays and doing scans, I don't think I've seen them cleaning patients, but I just work at 1 hospital, they all do things different.

10. bro

bro New Member

I'm an RT... Currently I work part time for an urgent care center.

Radiologic Technology is a great field to get into. It offers plenty of variety (if you work for a Trauma 1 or 2 Hospital), and you get to see a bunch of cool shit. The schooling (in NY at least, I don't know what the requirements are like outside of NY) was pretty intense. They definitely keep you on your feet, and while the material is pretty easy to understand, there's a lot of it and they hold you to high passing grades, or otherwise dismissal from the program. From X-ray, you can be cross-trained in CT or MRI, which both offer a pretty decent salary raise. Somewhere in the realm of mid-60's for CT and high 60's-low 70's for MRI. You can also go into special procedures, where you can be on call for emergency situations.

In New York, starting pay ranges from 50-63k from what I've seen. Orthopedic offices and such tend to pay a bit more, however it's a redundant (but easy) job. Hospital positions are much faster paced. You'll rotate from fluoroscopy(real time x-ray used during exams performed by a radiologist), to portable x-ray, to Operating Room rotations, to working the radiology department doing contrast studies, or working the E.R. I personally could not see myself doing it forever, since I worked in a very redundant position, so I went back to finish my bachelors and I'm currently working in administration. On that note, working in health care administration, clinical backgrounds are extremely sought after and look great on a resume.

If you have the opportunity to get into it, go for it. It's a great start monetarily and experience-wise. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help with whatever I can. Just shoot me a PM.