Radio in a 2003 VW Golf

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jampy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Jampy

Jampy New Member

Been looking online for a new stereo for my Golf as the stock one is starting to fail. Everywhere I look they say to use a DIN radio but the radio in my car is freakin huge so I assume a Double DIN ??

Can anyone tell me for sure, DIN or Double DIN that is the question

Picture below is the stereo I have now:
    [​IMG]

2. Freonthewhite

Freonthewhite FrEoN OT Supporter

ya that's a double din, but you don't have to get a double din, they can just put in a regular sized one using a kit and underneath it there will just be an empty pocket for you to put crap in.

3. qtipboy

qtipboy They taste like burning!

you can go to www.crutchfield.com and see what kind of decks fit as well as ideas for models you might want to buy

4. Jampy

Jampy New Member

5. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

go baller and get a avic-d3

6. Jampy

Jampy New Member

Nice, but to much for my needs, I already own a GPS so don't need/want that feature. I just like the way the one I picked would fit into the layout of my car, I want it to be simple and VW-ish (if that makes sence)

Also that avic-d3 is like a grand :x:

7. Freonthewhite

8. Freonthewhite

oh and it does this weird thing that when it's in random play mode if you hit Next it just goes to the very next track not another random song. so if it's on track 50 and you hit next it'll play 51 not a random track say 75. that bothered me because i have radio add and switch a lot when i have an mp3 cd in there with 120 songs

9. Jampy

Jampy New Member

Are you talking about the stock deck or the pioneer one that I mentioned ?

You got me all confused:hsr:

I'll have to learn more about it before I lay down any cash, also it's needs a optional part at $50.00 to connect a Ipod :jerkit:

10. Freonthewhite

The pioneer. and don't forget the installation for that ipod piece, and if you're gonna take it to a circuit city or something to install they're gonna try and fuck you by charging even more to install the bluetooth mic that comes with it so just do that shit yourself if possible

11. Jampy

Jampy New Member

Yea I would go to a car audio only place to get it done, even if I have to buy the gear elsewhere. I want it done once and done right. My stock deck is fine for 99% of my needs, using the tape deck adaptor for my Ipod is Ghetto but it still works fine, the only problem I have now is poor radio signal strength, I get no Am stations at all and even some of the FM stations are crap now that were fine last year, I have a feeling the antenna line my be damaged or something, so that would be a piss off if I dropped all that cash and still have a crap radio..:wtc:

Update:

Just going over it's specs and it says Ipod cable included

12. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

You can do this install yourself in less than an hour if it is your first time.
    You can get the harness adaptor you need at www.enfig.com as well as the powered antenna adaptor. BB and CC won't carry the antenna adaptor that your car needs, and they will have to order it.
    Poor AM and weak FM would most likely mean that your antenna line is damaged, or is not recieving power.
    The dash kit installs easily, and can put a pocket above or below your radio. General position is below.
    If you would like to just purchase a factory replacement, you can go to the Volkswagen classifieds on www.vwvortex.com and look at the car audio and electronics classifieds. Just make sure you get a radio code with the new unit.
    Crutchfield is a little more expensive, but they will ship the new unit with everything you need to install it.

I have installed no less than 4 different systems in my 03 GTI.

13. Jampy

Jampy New Member

Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of doing it myself, and I know the parts you speak of. My fear is the weak signal, I doubt the line is damaged unless water is getting in and caused it to rust/rot, but I see no water damage at all. My though is no more power (maybe that part is fried in the my stock deck). I am just nervous about changing everything just to find out I have a damaged signal line, is there a way to check??

14. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

Installing a different head unit and seeing if it is better.
    If it is broken, I can sell you one for significantly cheaper than the dealership (insurance bought me one when I didn't need it), and you can install it in about 2 hours and save $600 that the dealership would want to put it in.

15. Jampy

Jampy New Member

LOL, that is what I thought. If I put another deck in and thins work better the new deck stays..