Radeon HD4850 issues with Vista 64 Ultimate.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asdfbunk, Sep 28, 2008.

1. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

YES, THIS IS A LEGIT COPY OF WINDOWS.

Put together a new machine with

4GB Mushkin RAM
    Radeon HD4850
    E8400
    P5Q-Pro
    Corsair 750W

And it boots, vista installs and right away I notice video issues. the loading bar leaves a trail of blue lines to the right, and all images have a blue dotting to them.

Installing Vista 64 drivers straight from ati/amd website causes windows to display on the other DVI output, and not the one that originally is used with the boot sequence + initial vista install. Resolution cannot be put above 800x600, color in 32bit/16 bit both work.

Max resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050 and i can't even use 1024x768.

SP1 installed, all updates installed, .net framework updated. Tried a bunch of older catalyst drivers with and without catalyst control center, tried a bunch of fresh installs.

Nothing has worked, the exact same issue has arisen every time.

Any ideas?

2. asdfbunk

This also happens with XP 64 bit, does that mean hardware issue?

What can cause this? Only a bad GPU?

Well, actually, some resolutions work (not well) in XP 64, some give me a fucked up screen but I can see windows on it.

All display a horrible colour distortion on the blues/reds though. Definitely a bad card?

Looks like a bad mobo, just stuck in a friends X850XT in here and it does the same thing. All issues identical.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. asdfbunk

Ok, what the fuck? The VGA port on the X850 works PERFECTLY, absolutely NO issues whatsoever.

:bowrofl: DVI -> VGA adapter could've saved me a huge headache.

So... what's the problem folks? Two cards working perfectly in D-Sub but not DVI?

before anyone calls me a moron (you can still do it, just for something else), the DVI cable works fine, been tested on many other machines. The monitor also works fine in DVI mode, as tested in several other machines.

edit

A little sidenote. During this I noticed the footprints of Ultimate 64 bit vs XP 64 bit. 30gigs vs about 5 for initial install. Jesus :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008