Radar Detector Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cyber_amnesia, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Can the cops detect your radar detector ??

2. JW2

JW2 New Member

Yes, with VG2 but AFIK radar detectors are only illegal in the US in VA and D.C. I have been driving through VA before and my radar detector displayed VG2 and shut down, and sure enough there was a cop ahead. I'm not sure if he was really using VG2 or not, or if I just got an errant signal at the same frequency and it was a coincidence that the cop was ahead. In fact, I don't even know if VA cops use VG2 detection. I do know that if it is spotted, they will fine you and confiscate the detector.

3. taco

taco Guest

they can detect some radar detectors. bel detectors with shadow technology. I think they call it shadow or maybe stealth well anyways they are undetectable to vg2.

Car and driver tested this claim and vg2 could only detect the bel detectors at like 10 feet I think.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Radar detectors are useless anyway.

5. Gilbutt

Gilbutt Last visit: 09-22-2006

I'll have to agree with you... You can only avoid a speeding ticket if you know how to avoid the traps..... tactics....... etc....

- G

6. JW2

JW2 New Member

They are not useless. I've probably avoided a lot of tickets in the past with mine. I don't drive much above the speed limit anymore, but to say thay are useless doesn't make much sense to me... care to explain why?

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If you drive smart, you'll avoid tickets and be able to speed. You need to be familiar with the area. Besides, most cops are using instant-on or LiDar now anyway.

8. shaner

shaner Guest

You guys do realize cops don't just tag everybody coming up the road.

They first look at a car, and determine whether they think it's speeding or not. If they think it's speeding, then they flip on their radar and tag the car.

By the time your little radar detector kicks in, you've already been nailed.

Also, the cops will fine you, confiscate your radar detector, and most insurance companies consider radar detectors a much more severe infraction than speeding.

If your insurance company knows you got caught with a radar detector, they will assume that you speed, they will consider you a high risk and will raise your rates.

9. JW2

JW2 New Member

Tell that to the cops around here. SOMETIMES they do what you described, but an equal amount of time they get just past the crest of a hill or such and leave it constantly on (hit each and every car coming by). Plus, if they hit a car ahead with instant on, then you have a chance of detecting the signal and slowing down in time.

radar detector + cb + keeping your eyes peeled > *

P.S. Not everyone lives in Canada so paragraph 4 and 5 do not apply here.

10. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

Exactly it's not only about having a radar detector but also knowing how to use it. Most of the time I see polive on the side of the road they have the radar sitting on the whole time.