Race Tires on the Street?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by igotyofire, Oct 3, 2008.

1. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

Anyone do this? I just got a front tire race take off for really cheap(bridgestone Bt003. But i was reading online some people dont recommend using this type of tire on the street for heat cycling issues As well as the tire requires hot temps to work properly. Other then the melted rubber bumps all over the the tire, it felt normal on the freeway on the way home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. squid

squid braap

The only issue I've run into is the constant heat cycling we run into around here. When you run canyons you tend to heat up a tire and cool it down over and over again, and when you do that a race tire tends to get hard as a rock in about 1000, 1500 miles.

That rubber is rubber that was picked up off the track when the tire got really hot, it will go away after your first ride most likely.

3. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

does it heat cycle from just regular freeway use too? id assume so, i actually put like 70 miles on just now and its still not all gone, the sides are looking nicer though after i went through the canyon. But i cant even push hard anyways.

What happens when the tire hardens, takes longer to heat up? or just wont get as soft. So i probably shouldn't use this tire on a oneway 250 mile trip to las vegas? the tire was like 70.00 bucks installed, was kinda hard to pass up that price

4. squid

squid braap

Heat cycles come from hard canyon riding, they wouldn't get that hot on the freeway unless you were really heavily loaded or going like 150mph all the time. When they get hard they just don't grip as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take that tire on a trip, but on an unrelated note, be careful in Vegas--their roads are super slick for some reason.

5. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Take your bike to a bike night and ask the posers/squids if they can do that to their tires. LOL

6. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

IC i think i do notice the edges of the tire do feel harder already, must have been from the track use! even if they harden though its probably more then adequate for street use and canyon carving....not like anyone should be pushin tires like these to their potential on the street anyways id assume?

lol wouldn't that make me the poser!

7. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

any input for how they are in the rain? it rained on me today & i realized winter is comming soon, heh

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

most likely very poor

9. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

anyone know what type of tires are used for wet weather racing or wet tracks? i know ive seen it done...sure AMA superbike & motogp both have some version of a wet tire.

10. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

considerably softer rubber designed to work well at much lower temperatures than dry pavement tires... meaning if you run them in the dry they don't last long at all.

11. squid

squid braap

I got caught in the rain with my non-DOT supermoto slicks yesterday afternoon :hsd: