R4 for DS...which one?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by hellodon, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hellodon

hellodon

When I bought my own R4 there was only 1....and it was like 50 bucks. Now there are a shit load of them. I don't know which one to tell my friend to buy. Can anyone help me out here? It's for a DS Lite...I searched at dealextreme and there are a ton of different ones.

What's R4 pocket?

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.r4

On a related note, I heard Nintendo lost the lawsuit(s) against these companies because the courts felt it wasnt fair that Nintendo systems didnt allow owners to develop their own software so they're no longer illegal...hah!

2. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

3. pachogamez

pachogamez Active Member

none

don't go with the r4s

buy and acekard 2i or a CycloDS
    or maybe an DSTT

teh r4s are all fake and pieces of shit. The original r4 company closed long ago

4. hellodon

hellodon

Cyclo eh? I havent heard much about that one. Seems like the R4 is the only card that doesnt have probs with most roms.

Shit....I think he already bought this one, it had the best reviews and looked like all the contents that I got with mine before:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19236

So what's the deal then, it's not going to work at all if its fake?
    Back in April, my sister got one...I thought it was that one..and it worked out ok. Were they closed by then?

I have the Acekard 2i but I thought it was only for the DSi or I woulda told him to get that one.

5. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

CycloDS Evolution is the only card that still receives firmware support. R4 team stopped doing updates a long time ago and as such, some newer games can't be played using the R4 (some work with a patch to the game's rom file---which is a PITA to find, some don't work at all). As such the CycloDS Evolution is the best card if you're buying one brand new. The R4 you listed should have no problems playing older games, but your friend might run into problems playing newer games. :hsd:

6. pachogamez

pachogamez Active Member

yeah, from what I know the cards that still receive official updates are the CycloDS and the Acekard 2i. The DSTT also receives unofficial updates relly fast.

The original R4 company closed like a year or more ago, and all teh r4s right now are copies with different names using r4, but they almost always need that you patch yourself most of the high profile game roms yourself

7. hellodon

hellodon

Ahh ok. Cool, thanks for the info!

Its for his wife, so I think most thing should be okay. She'll probably want to play a lot of the same games that my girlfriend plays and we havent run into problems YET. (except with Mario Luigi Bowsers Inside Story - can't get that running on my Acekard or the R4 for some reason)

I wonder if the R4 company is back making this R4 Pocket...looks like it comes out in a couple days and it seems there is a whole new site for it:

http://www.r4ipocket.com/indexe.asp

8. pachogamez

pachogamez Active Member

just another chinese/taiwanese knock off

some of the "r4" sites look almost the same

http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/indexe.asp

9. Gawd

Gawd New Member

I just bought a CycloDS not too long ago. No complaints from me. Plays everything fine so far.