R1 or R6

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Porsche_GT2, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

Which would you buy and why.

2. killteam54

killteam54 CBR600RR>*.sportbike

3. rider

rider New Member

I have an 03' R6 and I love it. I've had some problems with it since it was the first year that the bike was fuel-injected, so there are some "transition" problems in it going from carbureted to fuel-injected, but it is a great little bike now that I've gotten the problems taken care of (under warranty, of course). The '04 model should have a lot less problems.

This is my first sportbike, so I didn't want to go too big, like an R1, and after riding this bike, I don't think I'll be taking on an R1 anytime soon. It's just too much bike for me to handle at this stage of my riding experience (3 years on a Harley Sportster, and just 1 on this R6).

My friends have R6s and R1s and the ones that have R6s can't wait to trade up to the bigger R1 engine. Eh, they're crazy though. They've only been riding for about a year. I would definitely say I run with squids, but I wouldn't call myself a squid.

Why are you asking? Do you plan on getting one soon? If so, will it be your first bike?

4. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

Yeah i plan to get one. I've rode dirt bikes ever since i was 2. i had a honda 50 with training weels on it. And so i quit being a chef and now am in a business where i travel every day within the LA area. With gas prices being so high i was looking for a car that gets better gas millage. Why not a bike instead. I love riding and so i figure for that i can use a bike sonce i travle about 140 miles every day. So to get back to the point i was just looking at bikes. Since im more familliar with yamahas i will probably get one. Iv never ridden one on the street before. So in that prespective im an amature. I just want something that looks good and can move.

5. Westside

Westside New Member

Any 600 from mid 1990's will "move." Trust me, a 600 is more than enough for a street newbie.

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Neither an R6 nor an R1.

7. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

then what....

8. Ramses

Ramses Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to ki

If you have never ridden one on the street before and you get an r1 then your going to die. Just a fact. R6 is a bit better for you, but take a course and maybe even start with a 400. But if your set on it go an r6, nice tidy bike and one of the best in the class.

9. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

Thnxs for the info. I like the yamaha style.I really am not interested in the harley style types of bikes, but the crotch roket type. Are the r6's and r1's comfy to ride after a while? or does your back start to hurt? Maybe i should go Ghost Ridder status and just get a turbo busa. ehh..

10. Wolf

SV650, YZF600R, Katana 600, Kawi EX500, Suzuki GS500.

11. Wolf

We don't have 400s here.

12. rider

rider New Member

The R1 is a definite :nono: for you if this is your first street bike. The R6 is better and was my first sportbike. I had a Harley at first though. If you have good self-control and you take the MSF class first and act responsibly, you could probably handle the R6 just fine.

13. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

Yeah... R1's are beautiful. Are they comfortable to ride after a while. These may seem like dumb questions, but again, ive never ridden a street bike like that before ..so...thnxs for the info..

14. big pappa pump

big pappa pump New Member

the best thing to do is just go to a shop and sit on a couple different bikes for a while. you should be-able to tell in a couple of minutes(like 10 or 15) if it is comfortable to you. i went to a honda/kawi/suzuki shop and sat on the 600rr and the 636 and left with the 636 cause of my riding style. i had the gsxr 6 before that and knew that wasn't a tool around bike. and dont listen to everyone that says you need a 400cc,500cc..because you are buying this and you will be the one responsable for your actions. if you like the r1 get it but just use your brain when you ride and you wont kill yourself. i would recommend the riding safety course though.

15. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

Here's my deal. I have been riding for about 6 yrs on and off on my buddies bikes. I started on dirt, then "dual-sport". I say that i have plenyt of experience, and am looking into the suzuki sv650s for -my- first bike. The r6 and r1 are great, and maybe someday (prolly not the r1) i will get an I-4 (hopefully a 600rr), but for while im in college, adn all i have to do is putt around town, the sv650s is a no-brainer, it offers comfort with plenty, well, an overabundance of go power for my skill level. Also, I'm a big guy, 6"4', 185 lbs, and the slightly more extreme position of the true super sport bikes will be hard 4 me.

just my .02 $ here, but go with something SIMILAR, if not, the sv650s or non "s" version..

16. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

17. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

My buddy just bought an 04 R1. He said that it is super comfortable to ride (as compared to his last two R1s).

18. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

I guess it all has to do with the rider then. I just ask if theyre comfy or not cuz i am a tall guy 6'3 about 160 lbs. Alright..well thnxs guys..when i buy and w/e i buy...Ill post pics..

19. Wolf

:uh:
    How is your brain going to save you when you go into a corner, hit a slick spot, and the back tire starts sliding? Or if you're changing lanes on the freeway, hit a rut and the bike goes into a tankslapper?

A new rider does not have the experience required to be able to control a bike like an R6 and especially not an R1. You need a whole lot more than just common sense to ride a supersport. Start small, get some experience, then upgrade when you have the experience to manage a more aggressive bike.

20. Wolf

The 01 SV650 was my first real streetbike too. Although I'd had several 70's era enduros previously. If you have the basics of riding down (can start/stop/shift gears smoothly), you can't go wrong with an SV650 (naked or S model). As your skill improves, there's a large SV aftermarket also. I rode my SV for 2 seasons, went to a +2 rear, and rode it for another season before trading it for my Superhawk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  21. big pappa pump

[you could do all that on a rebel 250 also]

[many roadracers have alot of dirt bike backgrounds so i'd say he already knows somethings about a bike sliding, so if he used his brain he won't get himself killed]

22. Wolf

Dirt bikes are not street bikes. They don't handle the same, and you don't ride them the same. Dirt experience is helpful, but it doesn't automatically make you a competent street rider.

23. big pappa pump

i'm not trying to start a pissing match(cause we are both pissin against the wind) all i wanted to do is let the guy know that he should buy whatever HE WANTS cause you and i are not paying for, maybe mommy and daddy but not us. i've had small cc bikes and to me they can be a hazzard cause yes they dont have crazy power to get you into trouble but the dont have the power most of the time to get you out of trouble. if you live in a city like dallas/ftworth you need to have something that wont get you killed cause it wouldnt move fast enough out of the way of a minivan mom. and most 500s cant do that. i had a cb350f, the thing was a slug but fun to ride, and almost got ran over daily . maybe he should look at more of a 90ish 600cc bike, but ultimitly its his money and his choice.

24. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

I agree totaly with the people who tell me not to jump right onto an r6 or r1. If you have never driven before you dont start driving ferarris and lambos and what not. You gotta start off slow. Like i said before, I have ridden dirt bikes since i was 1 and even when i rode the bike around my house i can honestly say its a totaly different feel on pavement. the thing is i really dont want to go invest in a bike im just gonna learn on. that probably doesnt make sense, but what i was planning on doing was buying an r6 and just ridding it around on the street either late at night, NO freeways and just slwoly try to build up confidense at time on the bike. Then as i get more comfortble ride more in traffic only on the street. Ill take my car on the freeway for now...so thats my plan.....Thnxs again guys for the help and comments..

25. Porsche_GT2

Porsche_GT2 Guest

Sorry guys...bought a 04 wrx instead..