R&T - Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The modern-day muscle car.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

By Matt DeLorenzo • Photos by Jeff Allen
    December 2007

If a lot is good, then more must be better. At least that's the conclusion I've drawn for the impetus behind Carroll Shelby's latest project, the Super Snake, a 605-bhp after-title conversion of the Mustang Shelby GT500.

Boasting 50 more horses than the limited-run GT500 KR (King of the Road), which launches early next year, the Super Snake allows owners of GT500s (yes, the same car that continues to sell over the dealer sticker of $41,930 more than a year after its release) to claim their own share of road kingdom for an additional $28,000.

The aftermarket changes to take the GT500 to Super Snake status include a long list of Ford Racing parts, as well as proprietary Shelby bits to build a unique-looking, fully warranted alternative to the 600-bhp Dodge Viper, albeit with some extra weight, a back seat and a live rear axle. If you're not averse to risk-taking, you can go with an even more powerful non-Ford-specified blower with no warranty that will push the Super Snake's 5.4-liter V-8 to 725-plus bhp.

The modifications are completed either at Shelby Automobiles' Las Vegas headquarters or the factory-approved modification center at Tasca Ford in Cranston, Rhode Island, and include a new fiberglass hood with functioning scoop, a revamped front fascia with additional brake cooling ducts, carbon-fiber front splitter and rocker panels, a choice of black-riveted C-pillar window closeouts or body-colored side scoops, matte-black striping and larger brakes with front 6-piston calipers developed in conjunction with Baer. The car also benefits from adjustable shocks, stiffer springs, larger-diameter anti-roll bars and a Borla exhaust. Alcoa 20-in. forged alloy wheels are fitted with Pirelli P Zero tires measuring P275/35ZR-20 in the rear and P255/35ZR-20 up front. Inside, there are auxiliary pressure gauges for supercharger boost, fuel and oil mounted atop the instrument panel, the requisite dash plaque with unique serial number and more Shelby and Super Snake emblazoned and embroidered bits than you can shake a stick at.

Overall, the quality of the workmanship is top-notch — this isn't your ordinary dealer-installed dress-up kit. The look, especially in our test car's orange paint scheme with black striping, is strong, upping the macho quotient from the GT500 considerably. The 20-in. wheels fill the flared arches, and the chin spoiler and rocker panels add to the Super Snake's hunkered-down appearance.

Even though the Mustang, upon which the Super Snake is based, is a thoroughly modern automobile (okay, it does still have a live rear axle), the effect of Shelby's magic turns the GT500 cum Super Snake into a wayback machine that recalls the glory days of the early 1970s before the muscle car bubble burst.

Leave the stereo off, forget the cruise control and the automatic headlamps; the Super Snake is about gobs of power, smoky burnouts and enough steady-state gear whine from the 3.73 final drive (which resulted in an 80-dBA70-mph reading) to make normal cabin conversation nigh impossible.

Of course, that sort of stuff is not without its charm. It is an understatement to say that the Super Snake is a beast. The engine not only makes 605 bhp, but also 590 lb.-ft. of torque (the Shelby-provided dynamometer data put actual at-wheel output at 567 bhp and torque at 533 lb.-ft.). That surfeit of motive force easily overwhelms the rear tires. During our acceleration runs, the best we could post was a 0–60-mph time of 4.4 seconds with massive wheelspin in the first two gears. Once underway, though, watch out. The Super Snake bit off the quarter mile in 12.5 sec. at 119.9 mph. By comparison, the stock GT500 ran a 0–60 mph of 4.6 sec. and a quarter-mile time of 12.8 sec.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

or you could just buy a used GT500 and put the same new redesigned FRPP/Roush roots blower on top of it for $5.6k and get the same numbers
    [​IMG]
    then add the accompanying suspension mods. Or go twin screw and make more than 605hp. :dunno:

3. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

600 hp and the best they can do is high 12s?

Damn thats a fat bitch.

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Z06 FTW

5. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

the 3.73 is not enough for this car. looks like it needs ATLEAST the 3.90

6. Smelly-Kitten

too much wheelspin means that they need less gear like ford's 3.55 to get traction. Plus i dont believe ford makes a 3.90, Motive does. Either way with a power adder taller gears usually means extra shifts into gears that arn't needed on a 1/4 miles.

7. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

check ford racing website for the 3.90 gear.

when i put the 3.73 in old 98 GT it solved my winter traction problems when i was in hs

plus i got better city gas mileage

8. Smelly-Kitten

Once again, FRPP doesn't make a 3.90, motive does and it's un heat treated which means it needs to be broken in. Taller gears like going from the my stock 3.08's or your stock 3.27's to a 3.73 will allow you to put down power more slowely when light throttle is given becuase the drive shaft is having to spin more times to make the tires turn one revolution, but at WOT this translates into more acceleration (like shifting to a taller gear on a mountain bike, you have to spin it more but it takes less effort and puts out more force) and the illusion of more torque. The higher you go in gear number (i.e. lower gears) the less traction you will have at WOT.

Gears ford sells: 3.73 4.10's also used 2.73's 3.08's 3.27's 3.55's in stock trim cars.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  9. CJPA

CJPA New Member

I dunno what to think about this car. On the one hand, it's got some spectacular power available. On the other hand, it's ridiculously expensive for a Mustang.

:dunno:

10. Smelly-Kitten

anyone paying this much + the dealer inflation for a MUSTANG is an idiot. It's a mustang, supposed to be the every day guy's V8 pony car that goes well in a straight line. For the price this should run 11.7's outta the box.

11. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

sorry that does not add up.

12. Kenny Powers

you can get better city mileage going to a bigger gear.

but going to 3.90s to fix their traction problem is retarded. it would make it worse.

13. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

sweet. 11's most definitely.

14. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

so not quite good enough for the main forum I guess.

15. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

Well, anyone willing to pay this much would argue they aren't buying a MUSTANG, they're buying a Shelby. The price is for the name + image, nothing more. Also, whether or not you agree with it, some people may also look at it as an investment.

16. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

eh what you get isn't very well rounded but is a BAD ass car.
    saw my first IRL GT500, car has a fucking presence

17. Smelly-Kitten

people saying they arn't buying a mustang they're buying a Shelby is like saying you own a SRT-4 not a neon. But i can understand the investment side, although at the rate ford it producing special production mustangs there will be more Shelby GT's, Shebly GT 350's, GT500KR's, GT500 Blackjack's, GT500 super snakes, Bullits, and Boss 302's than there will be regular GT's. Still awaiting the inevitable Mach 1

18. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

By my math, $28k+ added to a $41k+ vehicle puts you in the $70k(ish) area for a 600 horse car.

That's Viper or Z06 money, and if you're a Ford guy that's not real outlandish, particularly when your only other option is a $150,000 GT.

It may not be the baddest 600 horse car out there, but it's price and performance are at least comparable to it's competitors.

19. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

Looks bloated. I find the idea of a 4000+ pound Mustang offensive.

20. art_VW_shark

safetyequipment.txt

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wrong.txt

more like modern car makers don't have any consumer pressure (excepting companies like Lotus) to make lightweight cars.

22. Smelly-Kitten

believe stock GT500 is around 3890, but point taken

23. Kenny Powers

:hsugh:

you're absolutely right! i mean with the materials we have available, they could just build the whole car out of carbon fiber! amirite or amirite?

24. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

My guess is it's cheaper to add horsepower than subtract weight.

25. art_VW_shark

^
    Good point. Less weight=/=cheap. You have to invest in designing certain components sophisticatedly, use pricey materials and skimp on comfort.

should there be more elise-like products? Sure.