MIL R&R Rules

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm in a layover in Shannon, Ireland. Free wifi ftw.

There are some definite rules that one must abide by while on R&R. These rules are handed down by major command, and carry stiff penalties if broken or ignored. They include things like no alcohol while in travel status, no more than 15 days of leave, etc.

There are also some very important, but unwritten, rules for R&R that one can only encounter while in mid-stream. These are posted here for any random travellers that might find them helpful. I am sure that there will be more rules that I will find, and as I see them I will add to this thread.

Rules to live by when going on R&R:

Bring a jumbo-sized bucket of patience.
    If you are stationed in Baghdad, you will be going to BIAP in the back of a LMTV during the same timeframe that mile-long convoys are all juggling for the same roads and intersections. Once you get there, you will form up and turn in your ID card for scanning. After that, you'll again form up (in about 45 minutes) to receive your ID card back and get your flight assignment to Kuwait. You will need to be back in formation 3 hours before your departure time. In the meantime, you'll need to get some food (Green Bean, Subway, and some other concessions are nearby), and sleep (random cots/chairs/stretchers are available in the tents). Somewhere around 0300, you will be woken up for a mandatory police call in and around the tents and formation areas. Yes - it really is mandatory. They will wake your ass up and tell you to go outside and pick up trash. And just in case you missed any random piece of trash, you will get the chance to find it again at 0700 when they give you a repeat performance.

Know when to be fast.
    When you get to Kuwait, you will go by bus to the R&R briefing area where you will be told to turn in your IBA/Kevlar, pick up your duffle bag, fill out some forms, and get your tent assignment. None of this requires speed. But the next step does: After you leave the R&R briefing room, you will go to SATO to turn in your R&R forms and your airport preferrence. Be at the front of the line and get this done as quickly as possible, because as soon as you leave that office you need to beat feet over to your tent to claim the bunk of your choice. If you don't, you will be sleeping on the top bunk without a mattress next to the door that slams - but never fully closes, and you will be just out of reach of the incredible luxury of an electric outlet.

Volunteer quickly!
    When you go to your Itinerary Briefing, sit as close to a front aisle seat as you can. As soon as the briefing is over, they will ask for volunteers for baggage detail and pusher detail (getting people on board and seated as fast as possible). Stand up and move out with a purpose as soon as they ask for volunteers, because anyone on these details gets preferential seating on the flight home.

Not all First Class seating is First Class.
    If you were able to get on the Baggage or Pusher detail, you are now entitled to a seat in the First Class area. Again, be at the front of the line when your detail boards. About 40% of the seats in First Class are the nice big recliners. The rest are just softer versions of the general airline seats. First come, first served!

2. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

i spent about 40 minutes in shannon on our way over here
    :hsugh: don't wanna be on baggage detail again; i ruined a brand new set of ACUs the first time

3. willijdub

willijdub New Member

went through Shannon Ireland on leave back in Sept. OMG the air was so clean! And everything so green! most beautiful place id seen in half a year. And the wifi at the airport was a good kicker! have a good time on leave man. It goes too fast.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You must have been doing it wrong

5. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

there was some weird greasy black shit on the back of the truck when i hopped up in to help put bags in, it got on my ACUs...oddly enough i'm wearing the same set right now

6. dura

dura Guest

:werd: that shit blows