WEB Quote for a fair size project

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Josh, May 17, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh Guest

I have a friend that wanted me to build a website as his partner. But for some reason he thought he should get 80% of the profits just for having the idea. So i told him to eat shit on that idea.

The project basically would include the design, developing, programming, hosting, marketing, and maintaining a site that allows people to trade/sell/buy goods for a specific market. The site would be full of features that I can really get into, but think ebayish for a niche with added features specific to this niche.

Anyhoo I think the project would taken well over a month of my time + never ending effort promoting through SEO efforts and online advertising. For some reason he thinks having the idea and doing a bit of offline adverting would entitle him to 75-80% of profits, but I wouldn't never agree. And this person has 0 experience in web development to my 8 or so years. I thought offering 50/50 was very generous. with that said I told him the only way I would do the project was 50/50(and that was generous) or charge him something low X,XXX + a small percent of profits for the continuous upgrades maintenance.

2. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

3. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

dont do business with him
    hes a douche bag

4. Josh

Josh Guest

well im thinking about cashing in on about 2k then a small cut, but wont help with the site once I finish my end

5. Honestly it may sound like a good idea, but people can just sell their specific niche items on eBay as ebay has all niches, is trusted, and the biggest/most user friendly.

I almost guarantee you this will not work. Hate to break it to you but *ALL* ebay clones/auction sites/etc i've seen haven't really gone anywhere, and that's including people who have put quite a bit of money into marketing.

6. Josh

Josh Guest

I was actually thinking what you just said. LOL

7. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

why dont you register the domains and develop all content and have that as "your part" of the business. you keep ownership of that because he will make 80% of all profits and charge him for said website. that way if it ever does go anywhere, you own the domain and all the rights to the website, which is where the value would actually lie.

8. Josh

Josh Guest

I already own the domain :o :rofl: