Quitting Wow: Fail or Success?

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Daria, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Will I fail and go back to WoW or will I succeed and stay away?

1. Fail

69 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. Success

48 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Daria

Daria New Member

Ok, so everyone's heard this a million times: "Oh, I'm quitting WoW and I'm never coming back"...then the person comes back like a month later. I've even known a guy that burned his CDs, swearing never to return. Not even a month later, the guy buys another copy and he's back at it.

But NOW, I finally think I've made the decision that will stop me from ever playing WoW again. Unless the game changes fundamentally, I think this decision will stop me from coming back.

Decision: I'm not coming back, because of endgame.

Reason: I will not dedicate 5+ hours a night a few nights a week to end-game raiding.

I spend months levelling characters just to get to endgame, and when I get there, if I want to progress, I have to dedicate entire evenings to the game. I have alot of other activities I'd rather be doing with my time, such as cooking dinner with my SO (and eating it at the table), going on 3 hour long bike rides, hitting the gym for a few hours (plus travel time), watching movies with my SO, personal projects, working overtime for more money, etc. I pretty much have to cut out these long activities a few times a week to progress in endgame, which I'm not willing to do.

So what do you all think? Do you think I will go back? Why/why not?

2. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Ever heard of casual raiding?

3. Sam Axe

Sam Axe New Member

I do all of that, and Im in BT.

It's not hard, find a guild that fits your schedule. My gf barely even notices that I play.

4. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave Guest

WAR is the only answer, mmorpg with casual gameplay

5. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

cause wow has no casual gameplay :rofl:

6. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

If you were serious, you would at least delete all your characters.

7. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave Guest

not when you are required to get on at x time for y hours every z day of the week to raid for gear just so you can be equipped to raid a harder instance. In WAR the gear doesn't mean too much and good gear is really easy to get so to stay competitive doesn't take much time or effort, but if you want to put in the time and effort there is always better gear to work for in order to get a SLIGHT boost, not a WTF I GOT PWNED boost.

8. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

you dont have to raid you know.

9. D_Nice

D_Nice Super-Moderator Super Moderator

leveling characters > *

10. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

i've played wow off and on since beta.

i would of thought a could mmorpg would have come out by now.

11. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave Guest

I havn't played since about 2-3 months after release then a few months maybe 2 years ago but from what I understand you still have to jump through hoops to get gear. What is it now? Isn't it going through the seasons for the arenas or some shit where each tier gets you better gear.

12. houz

houz New Member

give me your account so you can't come back to it.

13. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

any fool can get epics now, you can run heroics, arena, pvp, raid.

14. staffer21

staffer21 Who? What? I don't....

If you really want to leave, you have to give away or sell your account. I did that, and I didn't even have a high character.

WOW was a lot of fun, but it required a hell of a lot more time then I was ever willing to give it. So, although I wouldn't mind to still be playing I don't want to play it for a few hours a night to keep moving along in the game.

15. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

Give it to me.

16. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

You put way too much thought into this... you just need to quit. Quit and don't go back. Spend time doing the other things you listed... spending time with the SO, working out... all much more beneficial to you. Just imagine it as leveling up IRL.

I played this game for a year and a half, I had two 70s (one on each faction), blah blah blah. Guess what? All a huge waste of time.

Of course, some people are gonna jump in here and say it isn't a waste of time, to justify their own gaming experience, but I find most MMO games with subscriptions feel too much like a job. It's a hamster wheel. Constant grinding with no end in sight. If that's what you like, then go for it, but really, non-MMO games I find much more satisfying. There is an end; I can play whenever I want, and turn it off when I want without worrying about finding a replacement for a raid :ugh:.

17. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

Learn to PvP.

Gotta go? Sign off in the middle of the BG, no big deal.

I quit raiding because it took up too much time so I can see that aspect of WoW being stupid. But I switched over to pvp and really can come and go when I please (minus the hour a week I spend on Arena matches with my team).

18. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

From what I've seen of people who have successfully quit, it was more the people who were tired of the game and had another hobby to get into who were able to stay away... on the other hand if there's an abundance of free time it's easy to slip back into playing.

As far as the 'raid casually!' suggestions, I'm not sure about the OP but I know some of us competitive to the point that we're not really enjoying the game if we're not really pushing progression; it'd be much easier for me to just entirely quit and fill my time doing other things than to keep playing while reading / hearing about what other guilds are doing in higher tier dungeons.

19. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Of course it's a waste of time, all hobbies are by definition a waste of time. If it's something people enjoy doing then by all means they can have their fun, and if its not fun for you then you can find something else to occupy their time (as you did with single player games).

Personally I've really enjoyed my guildmates in my time in WoW, and raiding with them is a lot more fun than any single player or smaller multiplayer game could ever be. I have the ability to commit 4 nights a week to it, so why not? Those nights I'd probably just be sitting around watching tv otherwise.

And just to clarify, I'm not really talking about playing to the point of neglecting hygiene, not exercising, having no social interaction outside of the game, etc. Then again, it's entirely possible to get to that level with a lot of things aside from WoW.

20. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

Man why are people always so fucking "UHH FUCK WOW I AM DONE FOR GOOD, never again will I waste time on this game" Like it's that big of a deal? If you were hating it the whole time you should have just toned it back, it's not that big of a deal, not like you can spend 18 hours on this game in one day, there isn't enough shit to do.

21. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

You obviously havent met an addicted player. I have friends that play all fucking day from 10am to like 2am. Its quite fucking sad. Doing fucking dailys all day then rading for a few hrs. Then loggin into there alt to pvp for while. B4 you kno it you've spent the whole day at you're desk playing fucking WoW.:ugh:

22. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I understand your point of view. The thing is, it ISN'T fun for me, so it's a waste of time for me. Obviously, everything I say on this message board is my subjective opinion. If you actually enjoy what I don't seem to enjoy, then good on you. I agree that if you enjoy it that it's a waste of time. There was a time when I DID enjoy WoW, when i first hit level 60. A few months later, I got bored.

Regardless, I still think it's better for anyone not to play, hence me trying to convince the OP to quit. That's what this thread seemed like it was about anyway, getting some motivation to quit.

23. poz

poz New Member

true that..

i dont raid because i dont have the time but if i did, id say i would probably be hooked more than i am now.. i pvp a lot but im getting easily bored now that i hit 70 a while ago.. pvp gets boring, raiding gets boring, leveling sucks cock, etc. im probably going to end up quitting soon, hopefully ill get mad enough at the game (doing pvp or something) that i just delete everything and throw the discs away..

24. Daria

Daria New Member

good point. I think my subconscious is playing tricks on me.

25. Daria

Daria New Member

No. Please explain.

The last time I did end-game content, you had to show up three times a week for 5 hour runs and if you missed a day, sometimes you wouldn't be able to be slotted into the next run, because the more serious people would get first pick. So my end-game progression would be sloooooowww.

Maybe I just need help finding an casual end-game guild....do those even exist?