SRS quitting smoking through hypnosis?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deviant, Mar 19, 2007.

1. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

has anyone tried this? i found a pamphlet about it a week or two ago, and have been considering it. they have a 100% guarantee, and say that 95% quit with one 1-hour hypnosis session, and that the remaining 5% quit with a 30 min follow up session. it also said about it helping to decrease any negative effects of quitting (weight gain, etc), because it transfers those feelings of satisfaction from smoking onto something else (working out, reading, etc- whatever you want).

it's almost one of those "too good to be true" things, so i was wondering if anyone's tried this or knows of anyone who has. they also didn't list any pricing in the pamphlet, so i was curious as to how much it normally costs.

thanks for any info :wiggle:

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

If they have a 100% guarantee then it can't hurt to try it out, unless it's ludicrously expensive. (Because say it works, and you're stuck with a hefty bill. . ) that's the first thing I'd try to find out, is the price. And them not telling it to you up front. . isn't the best of signs.

3. deviant

yeah that's my concern, that it's like $500 bucks or something :down:

for $100 i'd give it a shot though :hs:

4. Metal

Metal Active Member

yeah that sounds a bit "iffy" for $500... did you ever try taking Chantix to quit? its a new stop-smoking med that allows you to smoke during the first 7 days of taking it and it doesn't have any nicotine in the pill itself like the patches do.. check out how it works at www.chantix.com -- im asking my doctor to put me on it next time I see him

5. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I have read that hypnosis doesn't improve your chances at all. I wanna try Chantix.

6. deviant

just checked out that site, looks pretty interesting. i'll have to ask my doc about this, thanks for the info :bigthumb:

7. Metal

Metal Active Member

:bigok:

8. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Zyban + nicotine patch + willpower.

Hypnosis is all in your head. I personally don't believe in it, but since it focuses on the power of suggestion, if you are very open to it, it can work. If you go in believing you won't be cured, you absolutely won't. Don't expect to just go in, pay, and then come out not wanting a cigarette. There's much more to physical/psychological addiction than that.

9. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I know several people who have done hypnosis to stop smoking, and in the end nobody was successfull with it. One guy in particular went about 2 months with not so much as a craving for a smoke, and one day just started out of nowhere. Not that I think hypnosis doesn't work, but the success rate is nowhere near 100%, and it fails to provide a realistic plan for the future. Its advertised as, and many people think it is, a magic cure for some ailment.

When I quit smoking, it was just cold turkey, I had convinced myself that I'm just wasting money I could use on other things, paying twice as much for life insurance, and was damaging my health, etc. I just convinced myself the small benefit of stress releif and a energy boost wasn't worth the consequences. It was rough for the first week or so, then tapered off. The cravings are still there, and probably will be for a long time, but it's all about willpower.

10. deviant

i quit like that before (cold turkey), and was pretty successful with it for about 6 months. then i started again when i got a new job :hs:

a guy i work with who smokes 2 packs a day is going to try the hypnosis. it's 300 bucks, and he goes in next week. i'm curious to see what his results are.

11. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

My father successfully quit after hypnosis. He started when he was drafted in Vietnam and smoked for about 20ish years. He tried about everything and he finally did hypnosis. He said it was crazy expensive and as soon as he walked out of the session he threw his lighter and smokes away and never smoked again.

He always said he didn't know if it was the actual hypnosis that helped him quit or the fact that it was super expensive and he would be too disappointed in himself if didn't work for wasting that much money.

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

It worked for my dad. He started smoking again 6 months later, but that was his own fault :p

13. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

i hear voodoo works too