SRS quitting opiates, need some advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EdgeOfSanity, Feb 25, 2008.

1. EdgeOfSanity

EdgeOfSanity OT Supporter

I've been addicted to hydrocodone for about 6 months now its basically taken over my life. I spent every dollar i make on them and have been averaging upwards of 20+ 10mg norco's a day. I'm now completely broke and i need to get off the stuff. How bad am i going to suffer and for how long? Tonight will be the last time i take any. How long can i expect to go through withdrawals that will make me so sick i cant function and go to school or work? Any suggestions on what i can do to make the withdrawals not so bad? I've already got plenty of prescription anti diarrhea meds from stomach problems i've been having. Other than that i'm not really sure what to expect.

2. EdgeOfSanity

No one has had to go through this before? Anyone with similar experiences?

3. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Expect 3 days of hell, followed by 2 days of "wtf just happened", followed by another 2 or 3 days of feeling just a bit off with INTENSE INTENSE INTENSE cravings. I would suggest going to your doctor and getting some medication for sleep, as well as some clonidine (its blood pressure medicine that just kinda helps overall with the withdrawals) After about 7 - 9 days you will feel mostly fine, but wont be back to 100% normal for a month or two. Exercise and hot hot hot showers will be your best friend. The cravings will last for months but you need to not let your brain trick you into using. DO NOT trust your own thoughts during this period. Talk to someone in NA (get a sponsor...) before you do anything, as the thoughts and cravings you will be having are due to your disease, and are most likely completely irrational.

Other than that, just ride it out. Its all you can do. Get some benadryl to help you sleep.

When I kicked, I didn't sleep or eat for about 6 days. Finally on the 7th day I passed out for about 2 hours due to extreme exhaustion. But, I was also doing about 1000mg a day of oxycodone, so yours shouldn't be as bad.

If you need ANYTHING, or just someone to talk to, hit me up on AIM. EMGGuitarBoy or MSN -- EMGGuitarBoy at hotmail dot com

EDIT: Oh yea, while you are kicking, try not to think about the huge task you are undertaking. Just remember ONE DAY AT A TIME. For me it was like one hour or one minute at a time. It sounds corny, but it really does help. Dont think about the future too much, just make it your goal to keep yourself clean for that one day.

Its a rough thing to go through, just keep your goal in mind and you'll do ok :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  4. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

good luck :hugot:

5. io

io New Member

seconding clonodine advice, as I have been close with some opiate/benzo addicts in recovery.

good luck man

6. astar

astar New Member

I'm almost done with my 7th day clean from opiates. I was doing about the same amount as you, but for 2 years on and off.
    All I can say, (since you already have the diarrhea meds covered) is just hang in there. The first 3 days are probably going to be the worse. You'll definitely second guess your decision to quit. I know I asked myself "why should I quit when it makes me feel this bad? I feel GOOD on them." But, you will slowly begin to feel normal.
    Just ride it out and know every couple hours you stay clean; you're that much more normal.
    For some motivation, and to let you know it DOES get better: like I said I'm on day 7 and I feel SOOO great. So it doesn't last forever. What's a week of shittiness compared to the rest of your life?

Good luck! Stick with it!!

7. EdgeOfSanity

So i tried and failed today. I made it about 22 hours without any opiates caved and called up a friend for some suboxone. The problems i have with my stomach/bowels already are made a million times worse with withdrawals. I spent about 4 hours on the toilet before i finally could not stand it anymore. I dont even know what to do anymore short of putting myself into rehab. Problem is its going to fuck up everything, i've got school and a job i'm going to lose if i go. I can stand to lose the job, but the school issue is what worries me so much.

8. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Look at it this way dude, if you had cancer would you quit your job and school to make sure you could get the help you needed? This disease has a higher death rate than cancer. It WILL kill you. I'm not trying to freak you out, but theres only two paths you can take if you keep using. One is death and the other is prison. Both will result in you losing out on school and work, so you might as well put in the time to get clean.

I would say get on suboxone as it can really be a lifesaver, but it should only be used as a last ditch effort. If you've made it a month clean at least 3-5 times but just cant stay clean, and you've been to rehab and relapsed, then try suboxone. But I would strongly suggest to exhaust every other option before doing so.

You CAN NOT detox while trying to work/go to school. It wont work. You need to take at least a week off.

I hear you on the bowel problems... I shat water for about 3 weeks. Not fun. Toilet paper felt like 40 grit sandpaper.

Hang in there. You will make it. No one gets it right on their first try, but that doesn't mean you should give up either.

9. EdgeOfSanity

Thanks for all the comments guys, its really helped me get prepared for quitting. I'm currently 2 full days in on withdrawals, having not taking anything since saturday morning. Been going through absolute hell for the last 48 hours. I havent eaten at all or slept much(what little sleep i've gotten is due to some sleeping pills). I just made a jack/coke and i feel a million times better, however i'm worried that i'm screwing myself over by drinking while going through this? How much longer before i can function in real life again? I've got some stuff i really need to take care of later this week.

10. EdgeOfSanity

So i'm finally past the worst of it, i almost felt normal today in fact. However the thing thats eating me up inside is the craving to get high. I go through periods where its all i can think about, especially when i'm bored and have nothing going on. What did those of you that went through this do to get your mind off it?

11. turbobuick420

turbobuick420 New Member

read my thread, and find a good sub doctor it will help alot with cravings

heres a list of doctors, put in your zipcode
    http://naabt.org/local/

12. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

I wish you the best. I tried for 3 days to get off oxycontin, and had to go into treatment for 3 days to detox. I was then on suboxone for about 3 months. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, but well worth it. I too worried about my job as I had a career not just a job I could lose. But, the alternative was continuing my habit and continuing to lose everything important to me. I truly wish you the best of luck. Just don't be afraid to ask for help. I was surprised to see the amount of support I received once I fessed up about my problem to friends and family (hey even my work). Ultimately I have been off that shit now for over 2 years.

13. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

NA MEETINGS!!!! Seriously... or even if you cant get to a meeting just call someone (a sober buddy) and tell them that you really want to get high. You CAN NOT trust your own thoughts at this point. Dont let your brain convince you to do something you really dont want to do. Call someone and talk it out, it really really helps.

14. optimeyes

optimeyes New Member

If I could give my two sense it would be to find an alternative to keep your mind off of the opiates. I have been struggling with opiate use for years. It got to a point for me when I was unable to successfully communicate with anyone. including my friends and family. I made the decision to quit by talking to a couple close friends and knowing if i contiuned that it would just keep screwing me over. I just tried suboxone for the first time today and it is doing wonders for me. I haven't felt this normal in a long time. I suggest it for anyone who has intense cravings for opiates. It really is helping me so far.

15. Thieroff

Thieroff New Member

I have been sober in Alcoholics Anonymous for a little over 4.5 years.
    I've got a homegroup, I'm active in it.
    I work the steps, I attend meetings. My sobriety is contingent on my spiritual condition.

I used to be in the street, and did whatever it took to obtain what I was seeking. Self will run riot. Everything in my life was centered around me, selfish, self seeking. That's the story of my life man. I knew what was best for me. If everyone would just leave me alone I'd be fine. I didn't care for other people, I just did what I wanted.

Can you see how many times "I" was mentioned in that paragraph?

It looks as if I were restless, irritable, discontent and maladjusted to life.

It appears that in my life I couldn't bear the weight of my own problems on my own, it was too much for me, as a human, to handle. I had to come to believe in a power greater than myself.

See, every situation in my life, in one for or another, always ended up in a "fuck it" mentality. Everything. I quit all the things I was good at, dropped out of school, burned all the bridges I could. My excuse? "Fuck it." If that isn't maladjustment to life I don't know what is.

I always walked that lost highway man. As a result of a long series of events I ended up in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. When the steps were being read I would think "Yeah, that sounds good, everything but that God part. Anything but that." I neatly evaded that for awhile. The pain became so great that I had to change.

I started getting down on my knees and praying. I'd be lying to you if I told you I wasn't gritting my teeth the whole time. After all who did I rely on the whole time? Myself. That got me where I ended up man, in the gutter. I don't want to give myself up to God, I think I know what's best for me.

The God thing is difficult to grasp, but all it takes is a little willingness. Honesty, open mindedness and willingness are the foundation of getting sober. The program is about progress, not perfection. Progress is simple to grasp, may not be easy, but it's simple. If I've never prayed before and I do it one single time that's progress.

EdgeOfSanity, I wish you the best, you may find that an NA, or AA metting may help you with staying sober. My experience has showed me that there is a solution. If you happen to make it to one there are a few suggestions you may hear, and they have proved to be worthwhile in my life.

Get a homegroup.
    Get a sponsor.
    Read the Big Book.
    Go to meetings.
    Find a God.

These suggestions have changed my life, and given me a lifestyle I could have never given myself. It may not be easy, but it's very simple.

CT