SRS Quitting drinking...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pumpkin Escobar, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Pumpkin Escobar

Pumpkin Escobar New Member

for sure this time....made a thread around a year ago saying how i needed to quit cause it was about to ruin my relationship....well i managed to keep drinking and keep the relationship....had slowed down and we were doing fine till about a few months ago....broke up for many different reasons....for the past month ive had some pretty bad back pain and pain killers, motrin, asprin, etc wasnt helping...i pretty much convinced myself ive drank myself to liver or kidney failure..(ill be 28 on May 2, and been drinking about 360-365 nights a year since i was 21....anywhere from 6-8 beers a night and lots of hard liquor in between...usually stuck to cheap light beer and vodka at times....only drank at night after work, bla bla bla)....pain was so bad last monday so i went to my doc also cause its been years since i had a check up so i figured what the hell, might as well get a blood test and see how fucked up i am....turns out i have a slight liver inflmation (short term)....he pretty much told me i need to quit the drinking like now....i told him well no beer = no sleep...he said he will give me something to help me sleep and something to take during the day for shakes/anxiety/withdrawls....its been about a week since i had any alcohol and i think im doing ok...i guess these pills are helping...im really excited about this actually....dont get me wrong i would sure enjoy a beer about now, but im not really hurting for one...i hope it doesnt take THAT long till i totally dont give a shit about alcohol. :hs:

edit: sorry for one long paragraph and horrible grammar, etc....not in the mood to make it perfect.

anyone know about how long will it take till the whole mental addiction goes away?...weeks? months? years? never?....

tags: i killed tupac nukegoat Colonel Panic anomaly :o

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. Pumpkin Escobar

Pumpkin Escobar New Member

im pretty sure the first response is gonna be go to AA...but i really think i can do this myself....was hanging with friends last night and everyone was drinking....i thought it was gonna be hell, but i just drank my water and had a good time...i think its gonna be eaiser than i thought....i hope :hs:....the stuff hes giving me is pretty mild so im not a zombie all day...actually i feel no buzz at all...its just a anti anxiety and helps with withdrawl....forget what theyre called.

3. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

How has your sleep been with the meds?

4. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i ended up in intensive care at the end of september. since then i went to vegas to meet up a friend i hadnt seen in a long time and had 4 drinks the entire weekend.

i just immersed myself in the idea that id do a triathlon, so that takes up all my energy. i dont want to drink or smoke because it would hinder my progress with my new goal.

so, my advice is set a goal and just work at it. my life is VERY boring as far as night life goes, and i havent seen most of my party buddies since september, for better or worse is how that goes i guess.

good luck though.

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I've known guys who stopped drinking completely once they went on Zoloft.

6. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

To answer the question about how long until you wont care about alcohol:
    A very very long time. But it will get easier.

Another thing is you seem to lean away from AA. Have you ever been to a meeting? I really think the 12-step programs are the best way to 're-train' your brain as far as thought processing goes, which will ultimately help you stop thinking about alcohol much faster.

Good Job on the week and a half with no drinks, keep up the good work :bigthumb:

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

good luck with that. If you can't manage to stay sober on your own, you'll always be welcome in the rooms of AA.