SRS Quitting Cigs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by OoBabyPhat, Jan 14, 2005.

1. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

*quitting Cigs*...

I've finally decided to make one of the most important decisions in my life...I am trying my hardest to have a strong willpower and overcome my brutal, intense cravings for nicotine:noes: I am gonna have to try to get passed the next 3 days of absolute torture. I am craving a smoke right now even as I write this, but im trying hard to fight this and I hope this inspires you guys out there who smoke, to also consider quitting this cancerous addiction...
    But I can't do this on my own...:ughd: I need support so I checked out a website that will help out a bunch! I guess if your in the same boat as me, then you should most defiantly check this page out...

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/

*For those of you who are already in the process of "qutting"
    Good-luck and remember if you made it this far, chances are you want fall back, so keep going*

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  2. johan

johan Active Member

I heard nicotine patches are really very helpful.

3. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

I think I'm just going to have to do this the cold turkey way, they say that is the best way...but then again every individual is different, so some techniques may work differently on others

Yeah its gonna be tuff' but ITS GONNA HAVE TO HAPPEN!!

ANYONE ELSE QUITTING?....C'MON, YOU CAN DO IT!! :nikko:

4. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Hiya .

I quit smoking at the beggining of December, so i know what your going through. It's kinda cool when smell and taste become more sharp.

Lol. for me it was a 4 day hump. Most people three, but I was a total Bitch on day four of my no smoking adventure.. Just keep things on you to keep your hands and mouth occupied, like gum, portable games ( like Gameboy) . Just random stuff to occupy your self.

5. johan

johan Active Member

Actually after doing some research on it, you're right, cold turkey is probably the most effective way.

Nicotine replacement therapies whether by gum, patch or spray seem to have some tendency to simply transfer nicotine dependency onto another, albeit slightly less harmful, form. So... GO YOU. Get that monkey off yer back.

6. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

^

Yeah , cold turkey is definatly the best way.

7. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

HEH hehe, you guys are great...well Im glad to see that one has already quit, good for you gurl! I can't wait to get passed the third or fourth day of quitting, and I know the 'mood swings' will definatly be kicking in! And yup, it is true about when you quit, your senses go back to normal and you can smell and taste things alot better. Ever wonder why smokers do not not notice over salting their food?....your taste becomes dissordered as opposed to non-smokers.

God, I just want my polluted lungs to get back to normal! Oh and what really makes me want to quit now and not later, is to save my money, health and my looks. Im 20, so by the time I hit 30 I dont want to look like some 40 year old....thats my biggest fear...aging too quickly and OF COURSE
    dying from lung-disease or heart problems. Thats a big motivation right there!
    I hate cigarettes, sometimes it taste so nasty, and I wish I never even started this foul and revolting habbit. If feel much better now...helps to express yourself ya know?...

*GOOD-LUCK TO ALL THAT TRY, AND ALL WHO HAVE MADE IT THROUGH*

8. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

on day two of not smoking. (yes, just day 2)
    when my sence of smell was comming back, this man at the bus stop came up to me to get the time, and he was smoking. I felt so bad, but alli could blurt out was" you smell like shit ! .. . Ooops "

9. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

:rofl: Yeah thats funNy... I remember a long time ago i quite for like a week, then I started and I took the first drag, it was so damn disgusting:hsugh: ....
    I hate the taste and always wonder why people like smoking right after they eat, like what really causes them to think that a cig is the best thing after a meal?

I know that after like a week, I wont be able to stand the stench of smoke!
    God, I m so used to waking up in the morning to a coffee and cig at the same time...but afraid that the second part has got to be left out *sigh*
    I MUST GET THROUGH THIS......:noes:

10. Nihilist

Nihilist Guest

Eat fruit, lots and lots of fruit, and chewing gum and raisins. I quit last easter cold turkey after smoking a pack a day for 4 years. The most important thing is to be really really really motivated though.

11. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

Good stuff

You are absoutely right about that!....I agree, it is important to be very motivated, and chew things like gum or candy like gummy bears and shit...

I personally hate raisons, but theres always substitutes...
    I hope that anyone else reading this, who is currently a smoker, gets an idea that it is defiantly not an easy task to quit; but nothings impossible, depending on HOW BAD U WANT IT, you will do wutever it takes....heh, hope thats somewhat of an inspiration!!

Everybody thanks sooo much for posting!!

~Take care..........oh and anyone else with some good tips, PLEASE do share!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  12. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Cold turkey is the path to deliverance from these hellacious cigarettes. I smoked 2 1/2 packs per day. The first two weeks were difficult, but after that it's all downhill. You will have great satisfaction in getting this monkey off your back.

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You might find better support in the road to recovery forum.

Getting rid of your cigarette addictions is a case of having a long breath. Try to stay off them for as long as possible, Don't give up if you failed 1 or 2 or even more times. My previously chainsmoking dad has been like a lightswitch on and of them for like a timespan of 12 years. He eventually got rid of it. :) for which i am GODPROUDOF AND HAPPYASCANBE. Keep trying , it's worthwhile and will save you money/healthproblems.

My dad now jogs, and is getting his breathe back. My dad was one of the worst so if he can do it so can you.

The method that finally worked for him, was that i kept yelling at him every day that he should quit smoking, and that his health was declining up till the point that green stuff came out of his lungs :hsugh:

14. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

^ green stuff?

That sounds scarry.:noes:

15. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

YES, that is one of the biggest factors as to why I am quitting...its too coslty and im just destroying my health and my look, I really dont want to age!....so anyways

Lol! Ewwww I know exactly wut it is....nasty 'phlem'.:squint: ...I know once I fully quit after a couple of weeks, I wont have to cough that shit up...its very discusting

You know what makes my situation worse and harder...is the fact that everyone in my Fam smokes except my mum. So theres consantly a cig being lit somewhere in the house

Last night I was out drinking amongst people who all smoke! God I was so tempted and I remember not giving in, WOW i really do want to quit, I cant wait for these next couple of weeks to go by. :wiggle:

THANKS a bunch peeps!

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

wait one sec,(Last night I was out drinking amongst people who all smoke!) that's something you can't use. This has been the downfall of my dad numberous of times :hsugh:

NEVER MOVE WITHIN THE VACINITY OF OTHER SMOKERS!!!! when your trying to quit yourself. Only if you managed to stop for more then a year, you can truelly say you quitted.And even then it's still risky.You know some people are able to say' this is my last one ' and never touch a cigarette anymore. That's the sort of attitude you need to achieve.

It's a minefield out there, you need to avoid as many as you possible can. Always be on your gaurds asif you where a Ninja who could get attacked at any time. :noes: yes it's THAT bad.

17. OoBabyPhat

OoBabyPhat New Member

Ahahahah! true, true.....
    it doesnt really help much being around People who smoke, but I guess I wanted to make it harder by being around people that do...why? well because its more of a challenge and im sooo PROUD of myself, I did well I didnt smoke not one single puff!....Today is a little easier; I am quite cranky though but I will get through it.

A couple years back, whenever I tried to quit, thinkgs went well until the minute i was "drinking" and around others that smoke. I always gave in and said "Oh i'll just quit another day".......

Hmmm....not this time, not THIS TIME:)

18. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

have you tried posting in the Road to Recovery forum?

they handle addiction support fyi.