SRS quitting cigs v.dayone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by North§tar, May 2, 2006.

1. North§tar

North§tar Guest

So I finally decided that it was time that I seriously stop smoking. It's only been going on for a year, but lately, I've been feeling like shit.

So, here goes day one. 7 more hours and it'll be the easiest first day ever for me.

2. Furner

Furner New Member

i just quit a few weeks ago, i used a little of the nicorette gum to help. i smoked for about a year, and i was in the same boat as you.
    for what its worth, i think the gum helped me. i bought a 40 piece pack for $28, and it helped me through the rough times when i really felt like i needed a smoke. they say to chew 9 pieces a day for the first two weeks, but i made the 40 pieces last 3 weeks, and they did me really well.

3. North§tar

North§tar Guest

That's awesome.

But I really want to try and do this on my own; I'd feel weak-minded if I wasn't able to quit on my own. So far, hasn't been as bad when I've tried before.

4. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

i dont really smoke, i sometimes bummed smokes off friends during the school year. I bought my first pack about a week ago, and I've since decided that I'm never buying another pack. I dont want to start this shit

5. North§tar

North§tar Guest

so far, so good. no cravings yet, but i'm ready for 'em

6. mikelcroft.

mikelcroft. New Member

How you holdin' up? Good Luck! :big grin:

Thinking about quitting, myself... but I can't really motivate myself.

7. sardonicism

sardonicism New Member

I recently quit by using the patch. In the meantime, I've been jogging for about an hour a night and working out dilligently. I also watch what I eat, because I've experienced weight gain when I quit before.

Good luck.

8. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

did you make it or what? im starting today

9. North§tar

North§tar Guest

update. still going strong. cravings are pretty terrible :(

but, i just keep thinking about my health.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've been smoking about 1-2 packs a week since I was 15. I'm 19 right now. cliffs at bottom.

The last one I had was at around 1 or 2 AM last night, (it's almost 8PM right now)... I feel like my case is different than most smokers who successfully quit though. I regularly go a couple days a week without a cigarette just fine, but when I get cravings around friends or if I'm walking down a dark street at night, I get them super bad... to me the cigarette isn't just something to feed a craving but it gives me something to do with my hands and mouth that really eases my nerves when they're up... I usually only smoke a couple per day when I can't stand to wait any longer, then on nights that I drink I smoke a lot more. I don't think it will be hard for me to quit smoking when I'm having some beers with the guys, that's actually when I crave them a lot less. For me it's just those idle times where I'm doing something outside that is relatively low activity but will take a certain amount of time (walking my dog, walking to the store a few blocks away, etc)... I just can't see myself walking down the street without a smoke in my hand at least in one direction... It's just what I've done for the past 4 years. Outside of such situations, I don't really care about smoking.

Anyways, last january I had my jaw wired shut for a month and went without smoking just fine... Once it came off I went right back, not because I had a huge craving, but just because I've been telling myself (oh, well one pack a week isn't very much so it doesn't matter). I just want to be independant from such substances which is why I'm quitting. I'm sure I can do it, it will just be hard at times.

Cliffs: don't read any of that.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

over two weeks and still bad cravings? that sucks. Don't worry dude, it will get better.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

day 1, not stressing it so far... I think it's all about state of mind... I'm sure in a few days I'll be nuts over it though :noes: finals coming up this week too.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

day 2, 40 hours since my last one.... Cravings aren't too bad and I took my dogs for a walk (which is the main time I smoke other than in social settings), chewed a piece of gum, and enjoyed the walk a lot... I think quitting will be easier than I had imagined. :coold: