SRS Quittin Booze for a month

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HanMan, Oct 10, 2004.

1. HanMan

HanMan New Member

Well last time i took the 12 questions test on aa i was 3 of 12. At 4 of 12 they say you need to take a long seriouse look at your consumption. Well, on Friday i got caught drinkin at school and that pushed me over the edge. 10 Days out of school is by far the most serious trouble ive ever been in at school. Anyway, I've told myself that i needed to cool it for a while several times and never actually had a real reason to follow through. 1 of 30 down. O yea, i dont know what you call an alcoholic but i dont feel any physical addictions and im not in withdrawl right now im just trying to catch this before anything worse happens.

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

good for you... you don't need to hit rock bottom to identify that you have a problem. Why are you setting an amount of time for yourself? Why not do 60? etc etc

Just curious.

3. HanMan

HanMan New Member

30 days is basically a minimum nukegoat. Im just checking out the sober situation on weekends since i haven't had a sober one in probably a year or so (where i actually hung out wit friends sober...) If i decide that being sober is just as fun as drinkin on weekends because it saves me the trouble/money ect then ill go ahead and stay with it. This week is gonna be a bitch for me though as my bro is in town now (the beggining of my troubles starts the day i started drinking wit him) and he wants to booze it all day and night wit me since i "have the week off school." Unfourtunatley neigther my parents or i see it as a "week off school."

edit: Also, just curious if you would consider what i do as a "problem," Drinking on weekends usually both nights and once in a while on weekdays but no more than 3 or so a month. I understand your on the very conservative side of the alcohol abuse/drug abuse issue so realize your opinion will be taken with a grain of salt. :wiggle: Dont take that the wrong way... if your opinion meant nothing i wouldn't of asked.

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Well in some regards I don't really leave much room for flex... for example if someone feels they are an alcoholic of the variety outlined by the AA, then sheer willpower will not fix their malady.

However, I rarely if ever judge people's conditions. It could be that you're a moderate or heavy social drinker and you just need to realize the consequences of behavior before you're willing to consciously moderate. You'll know if you have a problem with alcoholism when you hit bottom, but unfortunately, some people go to the brink of insanity before they start to connect alcoholism and their problems.

If you are truly curious about the nature of your condition, I would suggest going to a few AA meetings and just seeing if you can identify with the people's stories. I suggest a few because each meeting is different and you'll hear different things depending on where / when you go. GIven enough of a sample size, there is a good chance you'll get a semi-decent representation of AA. You don't need to stick around, but you may identify and find out you want to. It's a little scary walking through the doors, but may save your life.

5. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

along with what Nuke said, get some pamphlets and read some of the stories and when you are at meetings listen for the similarities, not the differences. For instance if a woman is talking and you don't think you relate because she's a woman or older or whatever, listen to the words of her story and the feelings behind it ...

good luck - clean and sober for me is better than dead and buried any day!

6. HanMan

HanMan New Member

well guys.... in my mind i have made it. Since i actually did what i never thought i would follow through with ima go ahead and drink this weekend as long as theres somethin to do. Drinking for no reason for me is over and im glad. The month (or close to) actually did make me realize that u still can have fun without it and it is not needed on the weekends. If anyone has any doubts about how much they are drinking i would say that even 1 weekend without it can make you realize that its not needed for fun. Thumbs up to figuring myself out

7. piyo319

piyo319 i

where's this test? I wanna try

8. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I know I'm alcoholic, but I took it just for fun. I got 7/12, I think they should have an extra credit question which can add points to your score. For example:

13. How many different spots have you mistaken for a toilet while drunk?
    My answer: 6

Therefore, add 6 to my original score, giving me 13/12.

10. Macko

Macko Lesbian Trapped In A Man's Body

Sorry dude, this really isn't funny. If you really got a 7/12, you probably need help. I hope you are willing to find it.

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

you're absolutely right,he DID need help. eligh has attended 12 step meetings for some time and (correct me if im wrong) has like 10 months clean/sober.

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes, you are correct. I had 10 months on Nov 5th. It's only funny to me now because I am no longer in the disease .... I wouldn't have told anyone these things when I was actively alcoholic, it was a shameful secret.

13. XEightOhOneX

XEightOhOneX Wildo

good job for at least making it a month. :coold:
    I took that test a while ago and answered yes on almost all of them, i dont recall my score. I dont think the meetings would work for me though, its just the way I am.
    I have just stopped drinking cold turkey. I look back and realize all I do is act like an idiot, waste money, and make shitty first impressions with new people and dont have as many friends as I once did. Thats enough reason for me to quit. Its only been 3 weeks( :o ) but thats a long time for me, considering ive been trashed at least 2x a week for the past 3 years. I even made it through a nba game without a drink there. Im aiming for at least new years without any alcohol, if not even longer.
    I cannot drink in moderation without eventually being shitfaced, so ill stop altogether, sad but true. :hs: wish me luck.

14. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

best of luck :)

15. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

With meetings, you could probably change the way you are ... you won't know they don't work if you don't give them a try. If you answered yes to almost all of them, sounds like you're the kind of alcoholic I am. I had enough self-will to quit for a month or two, but I would've never made it farther than that without consistent contact with recoverings addicts/alcoholics. If you don't attend a few meetings, I hope you have a handful of really good friends who are also recovering alcoholics or addicts, good luck though.

16. taintedflood

taintedflood Guest

*tips hat* I'm glad you have made this choice. It's also good to see regular people being honest about their addictions.

I am in the position of needing to quit (or at least cut waaaay down) so I don't really have any good suggestions. I've tried the 30 day hiatus many times and failed, but I will succeed eventually.

And you will succeed too. It sounds like now is your time.

17. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes, other activities, interests and hobbies are important. Sometimes I find myself lacking in these areas, I am beginning to get stressed out with school and am slowly getting out of shape. Attending the first meeting is definitely the most difficult, the goat took me to my first one, I suggest taking a good friend, even if they aren't an alcoholic. It would help to take someone who drinks/uses very little or not at all. These people tend to have more of an open mind than someone who is a heavy drinker or uses drugs. Bringing a family member who cares about you would also be a good idea. Life may be good right now, but when shit hits the fan, you need other recovering addicts/alcoholics to talk to, they will more easily understand where you are coming from.