WEB Quite a few Adsense questions, I could really use some help if you don't mind

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I'm not finding what I need in the FAQ's or forums on AdSense help, so I figured I would ask here.

First, my site:
    http://www.RefBlock.com

Please take a few seconds to check it out, generate a link, and poke around a little, it will make the rest of this thread make more sense.

Question 1:
    I want to keep the site minimalistic, so I don't have a lot of text on the site, just functionality. Unfortunately, I think this is hampering the diversity of the ads I'm getting placed on my site. I have tried to split the difference by posting at little explanation text at the top of every page, but is there anything else I can do?

Question 2:
    These are my meta tags:
    Any suggestions? Again, I was just trying to get more text into the site to try and get more relevant ads.

Question 3:
    Any other suggestions for getting ads placed all the time, instead of running into those damn PSA's half the time?

Question 4:
    Any other suggestions in general?

Thanks for you time guys, I appreciate it :wavey:

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I'm pretty sure adsense relies on onpage text to figure out what ads to display. And considering your pages look like mostly code to adsense there isn't really anything to draw on.

You could try to add a sitewide footer with a small paragraph that has the related keywords you want and then wrapping it with
    Not sure if that would be enough but worth a shot.

Also take a look at what image host and file host have to maybe get an idea how they are doing it.

You might not be able to get accepted for that type of site but also apply for some CPM. Valueclick is pretty good and pays well but they are also pretty picky and don't usually like anything that is "user created" where you can't control the content 100% of the time.

3. Zac

Zac New Member

might be a slightly evil idea, but maybe write a script to scrape text off of the page the user gets redirected to and place it on your site as some sort of 'summary' or something? You'll have lots of diversified content and the ads will prolly be related to wherever the desitination page will be.

(i haven't read through the adsense tos. also might cause a dupe score, but you prolly aren't aiming for search engine traffic so who cares)

4. Zac

Zac New Member

and btw i plugged your site in the sticky in ot about voting for a essay a little while ago. cool that you're the creator - think i saw it first on wickedfire.

5. Blazed Monkey

I saw that, and I appreciate it. Any chance you got a link from where you saw it on wicked fire? I didn't see that one in my logs yet.

6. Blazed Monkey

interesting on the IE thing, I had it open in an IE tab in FF and it doesn't come up weird like that, but if I actually open it in IE, it's bizarre. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Looks like it mostly has to do with the screen resolution. I run dual monitors, and it doesn't fuck up on the left one, but on the smaller right one, it's funny. May have to adjust the ad sizes

7. Blazed Monkey

I'll definitely look into that, it's a good idea. I noticed on the bird link, the ads on the site were for bird products, thought that was pretty cool. I'll have to check into the TOS for adsense about the scraping idea though.

8. Blazed Monkey

I went ahead and readjusted some of the css so that the site shows up better on IE, the only problem is the minumum resolution for it is 1280 X whatever, otherwise it kinda scrunches up.

I would have to recode the whole page to put the right side stuff above the bottom of the page banner in order for it to work differently, and for now I don't really feel like doing it, but I'm sure I'll address that shortly in the future.

Any other suggestions?

9. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Maybe put the ads even closer to the input box? And maybe make them less obvious and blend more? I like how it looks now but you may be able to make more with a little more integrated ads.

10. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

build a wiki scraper and hide it in background colored text.

11. pkr

pkr Guest

You're all over the place this morning.. Now go respond to my name decision thread!!

12. autox

autox OT Supporter

dawt

13. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Add <strong> around your page title, and keywords. Google likes h1, strong, bold, etc. They also generate a lot of their ads based on your active file name. ie: index.php won't get as much as pizza.php for example. I wouldn't be surprised if your randomly generated links are causing the PSA's you're getting. Try going back to the "normal" links and you will likely see more relevant ads that are based on the URL. PSA's don't pay, as I'm sure you know.

14. Blazed Monkey

want to hook me up with a link on how to do that? I'm clueless here, alex did all the coding, I just readjusted what he made as necessary :hs:

15. Blazed Monkey

:werd: I'll work on that

16. Blazed Monkey

good suggestions, I will definitely use some of them :wavey:

17. wallarookiller

wallarookiller New Member

Don't use test thats the same color as the background its considered spam by search engines and they will penalize you and might even cancel your adsense account. Somewhere within the tons of pages of adsense theres a section where you can place a piece of code around what ever text you want the ads to be. Im not sure where it is but its there if you google it.

18. Blazed Monkey

found it:

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

but that is what JesterFX posted already :hs:

19. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

20. Blazed Monkey

I are teh dumz :hs:

21. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

use the wiki scraper that's posted on wickedfire (affil section)

it should get you started.