SRS Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eligh, Jan 19, 2005.

1. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I haven't yet shared this story with OT ... probably because I've been kind of busy, but I really feel like having a cigarette right now, so this would be a good time.

I've been smoking for 4 years, and so has my friend, we'll call him NG. NG and I have been planning to quit smoking for some time, and we finally set a date for New Years 2005, a few months back. My other friend who we'll call J has been smoking for longer, but has not been as heavy of a smoker as the NG and I in the last year. Another anonymous friend, G also quit with us. So the four of us smoked a bunch of cig's on New Year's eve and haven't had once since (~~18 days).

NH, J, and I have a bet, if one of smokes a cig, we're suppose to be honest, fess up and shave an S into the back of our head for a few weeks, labeling us a smoker once again. Similar to the A in The Scarlet Letter.

I told my dad about all of this, and he decided to quit too after 30 years of smoking. He made a separate bet with a friend of his, and if he loses he has to give up his golf clubs (which are things he pretty much worships) for 6 months.

So far, everyone has been doing pretty ok, the anonymous friend G has been bitching because he wants a Parliament, and he was only a light smoker for like a year or two. (Light smoker = 2-3 cig's a week)

Me, my head feels like it's gonna cave in, for some reason this is the toughest point for me, I tried to quit once before and only made it 17 days. Anyways, wish us luck, feel free to ask us how we're doing, or if anyone has an S shaved into the back of his head.

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Apply what you learned about quitting drugs and beginning a new life without drugs to the cigarettes. It works.

3. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

I've been smoking for over three years now I think and during my second year I wasn't particularly in good mental health, I found that as I became better, my reliance on cigs decreased. Now I can go however long without noticing it and smoke only when I want to. Well I dont know what my point is and if I were trynig to make one i didnt do a very good job, I guess I'm trying to say that addiction is a lot more mental than physical. Make your external conditions conducive to quitting and it'll be a lot easier for you.

4. SMB

SMB New Member

you have to quit the cigs.

i wouldn't advocate smoking anything else becuase that doesn't help. also im not such an idiot as to break the rules of R2r

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005