SRS Quit Smoking - The start

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thadius, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Thadius

Thadius Too depressed for his own good

Ok.. Finished all the smokes i have in the house... Just got rid of all my lighters ash trays etc
    Have a 72 pack of Nicorette Lozenges..

Lets see how i go...

Also avoiding my normal work place where I'm usually enticed to smoke on a social basis...

Anyone reccommend anything else? I had mild success on patches but I caved in after 3 weeks :)

2. jonez177

jonez177 New Member

The patch worked great for me....been 6 months now.

But I did have one failure before using the patch (It seemed so easy, that I figured I could do it any time)

Drink water, chew on a straw, avoid other smokers, and drinking for the first couple of weeks.

3. Thadius

Yeah avoiding drinking is a big thing for me.. Last time i quit i just hit the gym big time.. but thats kinda hard at the moment cause of car accident and associated injuries... I figure if i can get thru the no smoking thing while going through all the bs that i am atm then i'll never touch them again and won't give myself an excuse to... Past 24 hours have been murder... Next 72 hours i'm just gunna snap at anyone that comes near me :/

4. Thadius

Hmm not doing to bad.. cravings are hell bad.. stress isn't helping either... The panadiene forte i'm on at the moment is taking the edge off it a bit.. just need to stop thinking about it and distract myself *argh*

5. Donkeylips

Donkeylips OT Supporter

I actually am starting today and trying to quit, or to at least see if I can just cold Turkey for a week or so (if i can im stopping altogether).

It's 9pm and I haven't had a cigarette all day. Smoked weed twice tho so far, that helps hold me over on the cigs everytime.

Best of luck.

6. mcfrumpy

mcfrumpy Frumpy: A person regarded as colorless and primly

When I quit smoking the cravings were really bad on the 3rd week, but stuck through it and after the first month it was alot easier. All I know is that it has been a year now and I still crave for one when I'm around it, but it's nothing like when you first stop.

Good luck. :bigthumb:

7. 194kw

194kw Guest

www.whyquit.com

its kinda cheesy, but it'll help.

also, don't be a wuss, i smoked for 12 years and quit cold turkey. it sucked ass, but so does dying - horribly i might add.

write yourself a letter stating how much of a piece of crap you are for smoking - and read it every time you get a craving.

its a hard road, but it ends quick so DO IT.

here's the letter I wrote to myself:

"
    Why I’m giving up smoking.

Health – I want to be in great shape. It’ll be a lot easier to do if I’m not smoking. My stamina and endurance will increase along with energy levels since my body won’t have to deal with purging toxins. My ability to transport oxygen to my muscles and brain will also increase, making me more alert, quicker, etc etc.

Stink – I am sick and tired of smelling like cigarette smoke. Cigarettes smell like shit. They are fucking horrible. I truly am reviled whenever I smell one when I’m not smoking.

Teeth – goes into health, but my god I saw a friends smile a few weeks ago. She’s been smoking for 20+ years. Holy shit, what horrible yellow teeth. Fuck that.

Money – sons of bitches tax the shit out of cigarettes, $5 a pack. Suck ass you greedy mother fucking whores. I hope that my quitting is the straw the breaks the camels back and prevents you from obtaining something you want – fucking assholes. Also, a big fuck you to the cigarette companies as well. You sons of fucking 2 dollar whores should be burned alive – one limb at a time so the pain can be made to last. Fuck you for making these things more addictive, Fuck you for advertising them and getting me to think they were cool when I first started. Fuck you & die. Die horribly, horribly and slowly you pieces of maggot shit.

Withdrawl – Fuck you nicotine. Withdrawl sucks, piece of shit addictive substance. Fuck you for existing.

Fear of a painful death and shitty life. Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema (spelling?), mouth/tounge cancer + all the other truly horrible things that smoking invites to nurture inside you.

Just plain sick of it. – look, smoking is considered stupid by people who don’t do it. You know what, they are fucking RIGHT. It is dumb, people who choose to do it are fucking morons.
    "

its a bit on the angry side but it worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  8. xttc2000

xttc2000 Guest

get the smoke away program.
    i got it for $40 from drugstore.com
    i smoked for 5 years, tried quitting a dozen+ times and quit cold turkey with smoke away. hardly a craving either, and the pills really calm you down.

9. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

194kw - I LIKE IT

for reals. at least you're getting out your resentments towards institutions, government, all your feelings, whether right or wrong - that you have.

thats great advice in my opinion. maybe a little angry and not PC, but hey. at least you can have your own reasons

10. 194kw

194kw Guest

thanks, it seriously worked for me. each time i almost broke down and convinced myself that 1 cig wouldn't hurt i read my little letter and regained focus. 4 weeks later and i was through it.

11. HuntingFork

HuntingFork Eating Five Batteries

:werd:

Anger is what helped me quit. I was pissed off cause I was broke but would give my last 5 bucks to those fucking corporate slimeballs.

I'm always reminded of that line from the movie "Clerks": "Would you pay someone $5.00 every day to kill you?"

12. Thadius

Ahhhh fuck it... I had 3 days there..... Shit went down with gf.... needed a familiar friend... thought smokes will do...

fuk so weak...
    grrr more shit than i need this fukn week

13. HuntingFork

HuntingFork Eating Five Batteries

It's a tough thing to quit, especially when there's a lot of stress, but you CAN do it! Don't give up, man!

14. Thadius

hrmm not atm just think i lost one of the better things in my life....

i know an excuse.. but fuk... devastated atm

15. yoda634

yoda634 Guest

Depending on what it is, of course...

Don't use it as an excuse. Use it as motivation. If it's something you're going to have to be dealing with, use dealing with it to take your mind off of not smoking.

Of course, on the converse, without knowing what it is, then all I can say is sorry to hear it, and good luck trying again in the figure.