SRS quit smoking a year ago but . . .

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pigeon, May 28, 2007.

1. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i still have intense cravings every so often. like last night i had some serious shit go down and all i could think is, "god i want a fucking cig." like i couldn't think straight i wanted one so bad. and i quit last year for lent, so i haven't smoked a single fucking cigarette since 03.01.06 but i still get these horrible cravings like i just quit. i've adopted a healthier lifestyle and my boyfriend and i made a promise to each other not to start again, but sometimes it's so fucking hard. is this normal? will i crave cigs for the rest of my life? :wtc:
    sometimes i feel like i will always be a smoker, just not one who actually picks up and lights cigarettes, and other times i feel like i've totally left that lifestyle behind and i'm really grateful. but when i get upset or totally stressed, the cravings come back. is it because i learned to use that to chill when i was upset? will it just take time to replace cigs with another stress reliever?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I had this also and no, they won't always be there. When those types of cravings come, it helps to have some tricks to get through without actually picking up a cig.

One trick, I used to smoke pens, like ball point pens. I'd act like I was smoking them and flick the ashes and everything. I'd inhale deeply, just like when smoking. It's not a perfect replacement for a cig but it would help.

Meditation also helped me and thinking my way through the cig. What I mean is really thinking through what it means to go back to smoking.....the coughing, the smell on your clothes, the money, the health risks (lung cancer is a bitch and fuck emphyzema), also focusing my mind on something else everytime I think of a cig, intense physical exercise.

These tricks help get past the cravings and next time they will hopefully be less intense.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

Cravings are an interesting thing. it's like I suddenly forgot why I quit smoking, the chest pain, throwing up every morning :ugh:

cravings come, cravings go. play the tape all the way through-so you have that cigarette. seamed like a good idea at the time. then it's gone, but you have the same problem, but now you've started smoking again. One problem just became two problems, and a craving just became addiction again :(

4. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

when it gets terrible i think of the promise i made to quit, and how much i'd be throwing away if i started again. but it fucking sucks when i feel like i want one so badly. :wtc:

5. i killed tupac

I can never think of a time in my life, relating to any substance, be it tobacco, alcohol, dope, whatever, where i wanted to use and didnt, but wished later that i had.

I can think of plenty of times when i used and regretted it.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

[​IMG]

That's what gets me through. Especially the 2 little ones. I had a heart attack when I was 20... I'm lucky enough to even be alive.
    What's really stupid is I started smoking AFTER the heart attack :confused: but after having these 2 little guys, I've decided that staying alive to watch their sports games, concerts, love lives, etc. was more important.

Real men take responsibility for their lives and actions, and realize that smoking not only affects just them, but others in their life as well. Especially those that have children.
    I took the leap of faith, and I'm doing just fine. Life goes on without smoke. But it is still hard.

P.S. If you guys use that picture for anything on OT I'll kill you. :squint: Consider yourselves warned. :rofl:

7. Coottie

:werd:

well said

8. Slick26

:rofl::bigthumb:

9. i killed tupac

If it leaves R2R, i will start a ban-a-thon :squint:

10. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

what about real women?:o

:mamoru:

honestly, though, cute kids, and the whole heart attack + kids thing - either of those alone is a reason to quit, and never start again. congrats on quitting, your beautiful family, and your health

11. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i know how much i'd regret it if i did it again. it's one of the few things i'm proud of, that when i quit i didn't start again. that this last time i quit for real and i never slipped up after that last one. never. because i knew how much i'd regret it if i did. because i felt like it would start my quit date all over again. i just wish i didn't crave them still. people tell me the smell makes them sick, and it does, sometimes, finally . . . it's finally starting to bother me to be around people smoking. or to smell people once they've come back inside from smoking. i guess as times goes on it will get easier. :o

12. Slick26

Well I can only speak for myself, but yes, you are correct. The same thing goes for women.

And thanks on the other mushy stuff. :mamoru::bigthumb:

13. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

the important thing to realize, is that if you smoke even one cigarette, you will be a smoker again

you can't give in to that craving even one time, or you will be a slave to that addiction again

you have to believe that cigarettes do not make you feel better, and they do not calm your nerves. a cigarettes does nothing positive for you whatsoever

14. Slick26

Well said.

15. Coottie

:werd:

In AA we drunks had to realize it's not the 4th drink that got us drunk nor the 10th nor 20th...it was that damned FIRST drink that gets us alcoholics drunk. IMO the same principle applies to cigs and it's one way I've been able to stay away from smoking for almost 9 years now.

I just keep putting off that first cig. I actually tell myself that tomorrow I'll smoke but not today. Then I pray.

Another thing that helps me stay away, I stop focusing on all the positive things I hope to get from smoking again and instead focus on all the negatives. The money, the smell, the coughing, the shame, the emphysema, the cancer...all that shit because that is what's waiting for me if I go back. Maybe not all of them tomorrow but someday.

Man, I hope I never, ever go back to smoking.