SRS Quit drinking, now i would like to quit smoking...help?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pimpolo, May 25, 2005.

1. Pimpolo

Pimpolo New Member

I've quit drinking and would also like to now quit smoking. I've been smoking since i was about 16-17 and im now about to be 23. Im smoking about a pack a day on work days, and sometimes up to 2 packs on my days off. My throat is starting to hurt all the time and i keep coughing up junk fairly often (as if i were sick, though i feel fine other than my sore throat and slime spewing) and im not sure what it is exactly im coughing up.

As much as im on my feet at work i could use the extra lung capacity not to mention the extra funds i can save by not spending so much on cigs.

What are some of the ways you guys have found work best to quit smoking?

Thanks in advance.

2. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

The funny thing is, my next step after my 12 step program is too quit smoking as well. Once you gain the will to quit drinking, and conquor something as extreme as that, it is much easier to quit something else you have set your mind too.

3. johnny

johnny shit, baby

:ugh: I coughed up alot of weird shit before I quit, too. Some of it was lung tissue :ugh:

I don't want to freak you out or anything, but have a doctor look at some of that crud. Can't be too careful, especially if there is soreness.

Go cold turkey, man. It took me about six or seven tries before it worked, but it did work.

4. Pimpolo

Pimpolo New Member

It basically looks like the junk you cough up when you're sick... like flem or mucus. I think i will go see a doc about it though. Im constantly clearing my throat now, so often people make fun of me for it. I really cant believe i feel this crappy after only smoking regularly for a little over 2 years.

Cold turkey? As in just stop? I really dunno if i can handle that, i got a bad enough temper as it is, i dont want to bite anyones head off for a stupid reason. I might give it a shot though. Thanks for the response guys.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Why did you quit drinking, are you an alcoholic? When did you quit drinking?

6. Pimpolo

Pimpolo New Member

I have another thread about the drinking in here.

Yes, i am an alcoholic. Drinking was literally ruining my life. Ive fought hard for years to accomplish what i have, and any time i would not acheive a goal, or even think i wasnt up to par w/ my personal expectations, I would drink. I've been sober going on 4 weeks now, and i attended my first AA meeting a little over a week ago (havent returned though yet due to my work schedule) and am looking forward to going back. I still get a little jittered when i see booze at the store or anywhere else, but i lost the urge buy it and drink it altogether.

Honestly, i think smoking is going to be harder for me to quit than drinking. I geuss theres only one way to find out.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Oh yes, sorry I'm a little spacey, I posted in that thread and didn't notice it was the same person. Well, that's awesome on the 4 weeks sober, congratulations. It is vitally important that you attend more meetings if you want to be able to enjoy life and tough out the hard road that is recovery. Go as often as humanly possible while maintaining a somewhat normal life, cut out TV for a while, do whatever you can! They say to hit 90 meetings in 90 days if possible. Personally I couldn't hack it, but I probably hit about 50-60.

As far as the smoking is concerned, easy does it. Let's worry about one thing at a time here, drinking will cause some serious problems for you right now. Quitting smoking will cause much undue stress for you this early in your recovery, and if you relapse to the cigarettes you may lose faith in yourself and begin drinking again. It's not worth it, I would definitely wait till you have a little more time under you to quit smoking. Cut down and try and only have a few day if you're really that worried about it.

Right now it's much more important that you stay sober, and learn more about recovery. Living life sober is a new task, and you have much to learn. Good luck to you, and congratulations. Remember, easy does it, one thing at a time.

8. johnny

johnny shit, baby

^ he's right...you should probably consider something more gradual than the cold turkey method since you're kicking something else too.

Still, go cough some of that shit into a petri dish and see what's going on in there.

9. Pimpolo

Pimpolo New Member

Thanks for the support man, its appreciated. Im planning on going to AA tonite if this weather here will lighten up some. I was a little concerned about trying to quit smoking while im fresh into sobering up. I have faith in myself that i can quit both, but everyone including me is worried about getting stressed out from not smoking and starting over at square one from both addictions. Im going to try to cut bck for the moment, and see how that goes beforei just drop it altogether.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, its good to know theres people out there i can relate too. And some are right down the block :) .

10. Team503

Team503 Guest

I agree with eligh - focus on staying sober for now. If you can cut down (or switch to lights/ultra-lights maybe?), it will abate some of the pain in my opinion.

To me, I'm not ready to quit smoking - too much stress from quitting drinking. :)

11. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I started coughing shit like that up when i was like 17, i'm 25 now, nothing bad has happened, that i know of. it just kind of stopped, and i still smoke like a fiend, it's wierd.

12. pmenard

pmenard Guest

The Easy Way To Stop Smoking
    You honestly *do* want to quit smoking. You've tried everything... patches, pills, artificial cigarettes, fancy filters, gums, mints, books, tapes, and *shudder* even "cold turkey".... and yet you *still* go back to smoking every doggone time. You might already be starting to cough a lot, or perhaps you are getting sick of smelling like an old stale ashtray, or maybe your family and friends are complaining about your smoking. Most of all *you* truly want to quit... you just need some real help. Sadly, your significant other or your child might be begging you to stop.... It's gut-wrenching. It's all heartbreaking enough, and then that eventual day comes when your doctor tells you that you have to quit or die... you just want to scream! Nobody understands how hard it really has been for you when you've tried and tried in vain to quit smoking in the past.... and especially if they have never smoked! Visit us to find out more.

Quit Smoking Ebooks

13. AlexC927

AlexC927 New Member

I smoked cigarettes for 11 years. GOt up to two and a half packs a day. Marlboro's.

I finally decided I had enough and had attempted quitting many times and failed miserably each time.

then one day someone gave me this book. Now you're gonna think I'm crazy but I read this book....and I simply quit.

Others may have heard of it since it's pretty famous and highly venerated and it appears "Pmenard" has used it too.

It's called, Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking.

Sounds gay I know.....but it works......millions have quit from that book.

Cost me $15 to quit smoking for the rest of my life. I've been clean over two years now.

You can find it on Amazon or even Barnes & Noble.

None of the usual scare tactics or any of the other BS.

Read the book....it works...plain and simple

Oh yeah...forget nicorrette gum or anything else that attempts to weanyou off of tobacco products. They simply do not work. Yes there are those who have quit from the use of products such as Nicorette and the like but......just read the book. It breaks it all down for you.