Quiet power supplies?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sparq, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sparq

sparq New Member

The power supply on my PC is loud as shit, anyone know of any decent quiet ones out there?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Seasonic are very quiet and really good PSU's. Enermax noisetakers are quite quiet as well.

3. sparq

sparq New Member

Pretty sure its just the fan, and I took the whole thing apart and its got a simple plug in for the power supply (so I wouldnt have to splice wires) The fan is slightly larger then 3" ... that should make it an 80mm fan right? Can I just pick up a "quiet" 80mm fan?

4. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

man my computer sounds like it has a diesel psu or something. i should look into buyin a quieter one too.

5. tony

tony Guest

6. lowfat

you can't just replace the fan. That specific fan is there for a reason. If you put a slower quieter fan, chances are its going to overheat.

7. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I own one of these. I hooked it up to an ATX PSU tester, and it's totally inaudible. The voltages are stable as balls, it has dual fans and runs cool, and as icing on the cake it's fully ATX 2.0 complaint. i.e. 24-pin ATX connector, PCI-E GPU ready, and SATA connectors.

8. lowfat

I could never recommend a Thermaltake power supply. And of course it will be inaudible on the tester, as if has no load. My last one was FAR from quiet. I currently use a PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe, which is loud, and the thermaltake one i had was MUCH louder.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I second Seasonic, they are great PSU's all around. MY Rosewill isn't loud either, but it's not a well known brand in PSU world so most likely you won't buy it lol.

10. PeacefulAnarchy

When I put this thing under load, the overall sound of machine doesn't rise at all :hsugh:.

And that's when I was multitasking like you wouldn't believe and playing HL2.

I tried that with my 9700 Pro, and my bro's 5900XT, which uses up much more power. Neither made my machine louder.

And my CPU is a 2500+ XP OC'd to 3200+ - a.k.a. Tits McHotty, I think that bastard clocks in at c. 75 watts.

And a PC Power and Cooling? With the $300 I'd spend on that, I'd much rather get a better video card.

11. lowfat

Sorry but they aren't that great of PSUs. Ask people on reputible computer forums (ie. ocforums, extremesystems) about thermaltake power supplies. I highly doubt you'll get much positive feedback.

I was just using my PC P&C PSU as a reference to the noise level. Your cutting my power supply purchase, when you bought a thermaltake one? :hsugh:

12. urbanride

urbanride Vodka Powered

very good

also i got a antec trueblue 480w ... very good, very quiet

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Not too smart to cheap out on a PSU. I'd rather get a cheaper vid card to start and a very dependable PSU so i at least know that it won't blow on me and take my other hardware with it.

14. PeacefulAnarchy

:rofl:

I've used cheap PSU's before...There's not much available in that price segment anyway besides Sparkle or Fortron...In retrospect, I shoulda got them, but fuck it.

And the ThermalTake kicks the crap outta those generic stinkbombs.

I get a PSU that is dependable enough. Keyword there is enough.

I don't spring $300 for PC P&C, because by the time the Tt gives out, I'll be on my way.

My previous PSU was also a ThermalTake. Amazing unit. Too bad LIPA gave us the shaft, and installed another shitty transformer. And people wonder why I hate Dix Hills, NY. The people are dicks, rich, spoiled, arrogant assholes with $120 prada bags, LIPA has given "the pooor part" (LOL 1 Million Dollar homes :rolleyes: ), the shaft. We're reliant on one line where I'm located. If it gets clipped 80 or so homes get fucked in the ass.

And it's happened before. Third time the transformer has blown since 2002.

My UPS stopped functioning after that.

That PSU worked fine until fucking Long Island's equivalent of Black Mesa reared it's fucking head again.

And every PSU that's been affected by that I've had to replace.

Get my drift as to why i never install expensive units? Even if I had the money, I'd never spend over $100.

15. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

16. PeacefulAnarchy

:ugh:

Ain't nuthin' but a PowMax...If I wanted a modular PSU, I'd get the MGE Magnum. But that's $150, and I don't need modular functions.

At least MGE makes good units. PowMax, on the other hand, is the baseline for crap. You cannot get any PSU worse than one of those.

EDIT: Post number 256...LOL.

17. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I guarantee that the one that came in my case was 11ty times worse :mamoru:

you sure are being a negative nancy today :hs:

EDIT: and it was on sale for $79.99 plus a $50 mail in rebate, not too bad for $30 :dunno:

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

hahahahaha thats a good one :big grin:

I'd be looking into a PSU with a very long warranty at least. Do Tt's come with a long warranty, i dunno? That way, you could at least RMA/return it and not have to worry about spending another $50-100 on a PSU. I don't buy $300 PSU's either, I think I spent $70 on mine, but I did some research b4 I bought it and it turned out to be a rock solid purchase (Rosewill...i was sketical.) I still have an Enermax as a backup.

19. lowfat

MY PSU has 5 years of unlimited warranty backed by the best customer support anywhere. :)

OCZ & Enermax have 3 year warranty which I believe have the second best warranties out there.

20. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have a Fortron Blue Storm 500 and its pretty quiet.

21. sparq

sparq New Member

After doing some more investigating... I cracked the case open with the computer on... and the sound is actually coming from the freakin hard drive! I know there is like "dynamat" for your computer case, and I got this POS from work (5 finger discount... lol) so I dont really care about it - would something like that help? What about actually isolating the HDD noise? Im sure its going to be on its way out -- but it will do until xmas time.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well, is it the spinning of the drive that's loud or is the drive jsut rattling against the case? IF it's rattling/loose, you cna install rubber washers around the mounting screws/holes and that should cancel out all of the noise. If the drive is just loud due to high RPM's or whatever, than yah some dynamat would help, although that stuff really heats up your computer since it acts as "insulation" for your PC and will make it harder for the case to transfer heat. out/keep cool air in.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Vantec iON2. The whole underside of the PSU is occupied by a 12cm fan and the entire backside is perforated to reduce airflow restriction. I have one and I love it.

24. PeacefulAnarchy

For $30 that would be hard to beat at a retail store. I've heard they are *WAY* more dependable than other PowMax units, but that's no different than saying the next Sony console won't fall apart in your hands. I'll stick to Sparkle/Fortron/ThermalTake/MGE/Enermax/Antec/Other good stuff.

Oh, but on that day, I wasn't a negative nancy. I was SUPER! Thanks for ASKING!

[​IMG]

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a Seagate Barracuda hard drive. They have insulation built in. Nice and quiet.