Quicktime Pro and VLC stop responding when opening DiVX/XVid AVI files, suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Oct 21, 2007.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So I have Quicktime Pro and Democracy installed. I'm running this Codec pack:

http://blog.twenty08.com/2006/12/27/codec-pack-for-all-the-new-mac-users/

I noticed a couple months ago, any application I'd use to play these files (usually movies that I've ripped myself or downloaded) stop responding when you try to open the files. If I load XP through parallels, and play them through Media Player, they play just fine (well, they hicup once in a while, I'd imagine it has something to do with reading them through Parallel's file sharing utility).

I've re-updated the codecs, repaired disk permissions and such, and reset the PRAM, which hasn't seemed to help.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to how to resolve this? Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I just installed VLC, but still no playback through Quicktime. Any ideas? All these movies use to play through QT and Democracy, I have no idea what happened :(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I had this problem too, videos would take forever to open, if they did open. Download Perian and install that. It solved my problem :bigthumb:

3. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

In the same vein, Perian seems to take for-freakin-ever to do anything with x264 content. I love the overlay controls in QuickTime, but I'm resorting to MPlayer for x264 because it loads them up in no time at all.

What's the deal?

4. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

:dunno:

Maybe something wrong with the codecs?

5. DjShiznit

Well I loaded Perian originally, then found that codec pack I linked to in my original post a few months later. Perian was on my system to begin with, then when I installed that linked codec pack, it included Perian. It seems anything that uses a codec doesn't load, but vlc seems to play them (probably because it has its own built in codecs). Perhaps it's a codec problem, or a quicktime problem. Maybe I just answered my own question lol

6. kevolushin

kevolushin New Member

try niceplayer?

7. DjShiznit

Hmmmm. VLC works, but neither Quicktime or NicePlayer seem to work. I guess it must be a codec issue, or an underlying problem with my Quicktime install... The Perian component wouldn't delete, I had to do so after booting with the shift key held down. I re-installed the codecs, still doesn't work. Guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks until I'm home again to try to reload QT Pro. :x: