TAT Quickie question about glass vs. stainless for stretching lobes

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cherryfire, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

So yesterday i went and did my next size lobe stretch. It was a little bit of a tighter fit this time, but not too bad. Anyway, we were talking about how tight it felt this time and my piercer said, "yeah, hate to say it too but since you went with glass, it will probably be a little tighter next time too. You might wanna add a week or two longer before you stretch up again."

Doesnt bother me..but now im curious. Any idea why using glass this time as opposed to the stainless i wore before would make any difference in how quickly or effectively i stretch?? Didnt seem to make much sense.

2. gooter80

gooter80 Guest

doesnt make much sense to me either. usually when people use glass its for the look or because they are sensitive to other materials ie steel, wood, plastic etc. some ppl i know use it simply because u dont get as much ear gunk as compared to steel. i went from 14g to now 1/2" and i only used stainless jewelry, it worked fine for me.

3. Cherryfire

Yeah, i had been using stainless up until this last one..i just wanted to try something new, i guess. It looks pretty nice but i just couldnt see where the difference was between the two types and how well i 'd stretch. :dunno:

thanks

4. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

the only thing i can think of why it would be tough again next time is because glass plugs might be lighter than SSS rings... tunnels on the other hand, the glass would be heavier

5. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

I do not see why this initial stretch would cause problems, but over time, the glass may be porous, where as surgical steel is not, and the pores may irritate the skin cause it to be tighter and more callused to stretching. That's odd. You should ask Marty next time you head down there.

Edit: how did the prices of glass compare to that of SS?

6. Cherryfire

Yeah, I had Michelle do it this time..shes alright too..i trust her. But i did find it a little odd. I might mention it to him the next time im there, simply for curiosity's sake. I just wondered if the glass wasnt maybe as exact as the stainless is..like how wood can have some slight variations in size..but..

Oh well! I still love the look of these..You should see 'em, Jim. Clear and hollow..very cute. Oh and the price was $30 for the pair. I think the stainless was $25 if i remember correctly.

7. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

and are they a bit lighter in wieght? more comfortable (over time)?

8. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

glass is lighter overall...in hoops and in tunnels....thats why it will be harder to stretch next time because there is less 'natural stretching' from the weight of the jewelry.

glass is actually better for healing most larger gauge piercings, and for stretching. it works very well and really shouldnt irritate the skin at all

9. Cherryfire

Thank you very much for such a helpful reply! That makes a lot of sense. I look forward to more of your posts. :)

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

no problem...always here to help :)

11. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

You're turning into quite a helpful member of Body Mods. Hope you stick around.