Quickest way to tranfer files PC-->PB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o.negative, Jun 10, 2005.

1. o.negative

o.negative OT Supporter

i need to tranfer some files from my old pc (running Win98) to my powerbook. its a few gigs so i dont want to email or upload. i dont have a CDR on the pc, i have a little usb flash drive but win98 wont recognize it even after i d/l the drivers.

what can i do?

TIA!

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

$20 external drive casing. It'll be usefull later on so it's not a total waste.

I tried transfering my files over my network but it was painfully slow & some files would freeze up the process. So I just took an external kit and plugged in each drive I needed and transfered them over. When I was done I formatted them for the Mac & now use one as a backup.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

crossover cable

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Slower than USB2.0 or Firewire, assumes his old machine has Ethernet, and requires networking Win98 to the Mac.

Pulling the hard disk out and connecting it directly to the Mac is much faster and easier.

5. ^

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

pulling a windows hd out and putting it in an external enclosure should require a format before the mac machine will be able to read it

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not true. OSX will read even NTFS just fine. I've done it. I believe it will also write FAT32 volumes.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

considering OSX is based on a BSD kernel, NTFS support should be either available, or easily compiled as a kernel module.

However, I believe OSX also has decent support for SMB file sharing, so you could easily do this over the network, or via firewire.

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

not sure if this is viable, but if the PC supports reading HFS+ off your mac, you could boot the mac into firewire target disk mode and drag PC files to the PB's disk. I dunno if windoze supports HFS+ though, my guess would be no.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Apple wrote an HFS+ driver for Windows... Although I don't think it'll work in that fashion (they use it to read HFS+ iPods and re-format them in FAT32).

I think that using a firewire cable to connect the two machines, setup static IPs, and use firewire as a network interface would work well. However, for simplicity, a crossover cable may still be quickest for someone that's not too familiar with the process.

11. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I've had OS X read and write to both FAT32 and NTFS volumes many times. He should be able to put it in a FireWire enclosure just fine.

IMO, it's the way to go if the thread starter's not very versed in networking.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i could have sworn that there was a guy on here that tried that and it wouldnt read it b/c it wasnt in a mac format (journaled) or something like that.

13. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Took my NTFS drive straight out of my PC in plugged it into a external firewire drive bay. Found it & read from it no problem.

14. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Hmm, he must not have had good luck then. I have to work with directly attached FAT and NTFS volumes on my Mac at work on a fairly regular basis, and I've never had issues that weren't traced to a failing drive.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

NTFS is journaled. And it has been for much longer than mac's filesystem :mamoru: