quick thanks and a question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by gui3, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

May 6, 2000
    first thing: i was here essentially complaining i had no time to work out. i was told to man up and make time. i did, i'm at the gym 5 days a week, and it's working out nicely (though i'm not spending as much quality time with the gf as i'd like, but it's alright.)

now, a question:

a few years ago, i screwed up my lower back. i went for treatment, physical therapy, did a year of karate, lived super-carefully, and things were going well. still, i seem to screw it up in the same spot about 1-2 times a year. regardless, i put a lot of effort into keeping my back flexible and working to strengthen it.

it just happened again this weekend at the gym while i was doing seated rows (i did one rep just a little bit less carefully than i usually do)

so, question: do you live with anything like this, and can you recommend a strategy for dealing with it at the gym?
  2. TZ

TZ Banned

Sep 27, 2006
    Written by Bill Hartman
    Saturday, 16 June 2007
    More than 80% of guys will experience some form of persistent lower-back pain at some point duringtheir lifetime. And just because you can pull 300-plus pounds on a deadlift, don't think you're immune. Research shows that it's your torso's strength endurance--the ability to exert high levels of force for a prolonged period of time--that helps protect the region and prevent lower-back injuries. To test your level of strength endurance, try the following:
    TEST #1
    PERFORM A PLANK: Get into a pushup position, then rest your forearms on the floor [A]. Your body should form a straight line from your head to your feet (don't let your hips sag). Hold the position as long as you can. You pass if you can hold it for two minutes or longer.
    You fail if you collapse before the two-minute mark, or if your hips dip at any point within that time frame.
    TEST #2
    PERFORM A SIDE PLANK: Turn onto your left side and, keeping your body in a straight line (just as in the plank described above), rest your weight on your left forearm . Hold the position as long as you can, then repeat on the other side.
    You pass if you can hold the position for 90 seconds or longer.
    You fail if you collapse before the time is up, or if your hips dip at any point within that time frame.
    If you fail at either or both of these tests, you're at a greater risk for lower-back injury. Fortunately, you can remedy the problem with the same exercises you used in the tests.
    For the next 3-4 weeks, perform both tests between 3 and 5 times a week, doing 3-5 sets of 30-second holds for each, and working up from there, Think of the tests as a mini exercise program to improve your strength endurance, and do them before your regular routine. Until you can pass each test, try to avoid lifting any weight that's more than 20% of your body weight--you're not ready for it yet.
    Lower-back pain can usually be traced directly to the hip flexors--the muscles that lift your legs out in front of you when you walk. When your hip flexors are tight (if you sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time, there's a good chance they are), your pelvis can gradually tilt forward. Over time, this can prevent the full range of movement between your hips and glutes. It also keeps your abs from properly stabilizing your torso. Either way, it's bad news, because the lower back loses its support system and becomes easy pickings for an injury-inducing accident. The remedy: Stretch the hip flexors.
    Step into a lunge position with your right leg forward. Reach over your head with your left hand, then bend at your waist to your right side. Reach back with your right hand and twist to your right side [C]. Hold the position for 20 seconds, then switch sides and repeat. Do the stretch 3-4 times on each side, 6-8 times throughout the day. After a few weeks, go straight into the stretch by quickly stepping back into the lunge-and-twist position. Perform 10-20 reps on each side, 1-2 times a day.

i'll post some more stuff later
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.