Quick Review of iWeb [my review...]

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Raider007, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

This is after i've worked on it this afternoon for a couple of hours...trying to build a quick little site with pictures, nothing too fancy...

The Photo Part:
    Pro:
    It's easy to get into, with iphoto 06, you can export quick photo gallery's seriously as easily as they showed on the macworld keynote...point click and export...that's the good news...

Con:
    the bad news, is that it really doesn't do a good job of compressing...at all...i recommend that whatever pictures you want to use on your site, resize first in photoshop then bring them in to a special iphoto album or you're gonna end up with a 500k file that takes up 480x320 pixels...

The Design/Building Part:
    Pro:
    Easy to design, drag and drop everything, once again, as easy as they showed it on the keynote...it'll resize, mask, stretch, movie, link, everything without much hassle...this is a true wysiwyg design program for webpages...super super easy...blog? click a button. podcast? click a button. what a photo page? click a button. It'll create your site navigation for you and make sure all the pages are linked...or you can remove certain pages from certain site navigations...

Con:
    that's all you get, a wysiwyg...no access to html or what's going on in the background. No basic page, no starting from scratch...you start with a template and go from there...sure you can delete MOST off the stuff off the template, but you can't delete everything off the template...

also, it appears you can only work on one site at a time type thing...there is no real "save-as" fucntion. you have a save function, when you open iweb up agagain, you start where you left off...you can start a new site, but'll still part of a master file...kinda annoying...

and the site builds like 100000000 pages for your stuff...your index file is nothing more than an html page pointing to multiple xml pages...so editing on the fly is kinda hard...

Other little things complaints
    1) sites dont' always work in opera/ie...pictures will be missing, pictures in a slideshow will be stretched, Safari and firefox seem to work okay, and like i said, i'm not exactly building a rocket science type site, simple...

2) when you publish a site, it replaces the whole thing...so if your site is 10 megs, and you change one page...guess what, you're uploading all 10 megs again...it's really really fricken stupid...you can't just update just 1 part of your site without re-publishing the whole site again...

3) unless you have a .mac account, you'll get a nag screen everytime you startup iweb...there is a work around...open up .mac in your system preferences and just input some data...any info, fake login/pass...whatever...you'll get a "login can't be found" one more time and that's it...

Final Verdict
    This is for someone that doesn't want to spend much time building a site, drag drop and call it a day...if you want something hardcore use dreamweaver, golive, coffeecup...anything else...

I'll probably use it cause it's easy enough and all i'm doing is putting photo's on the site, it's annoying that everytime you update the site you gotta upload the whole thing, but whatever...if i need to go back and make something hardcore, i'll just fireup dreamweaver and code away...but since it's just pictures...iphoto+iweb makes it super easy...

it's like most apple releases...version 1.0 always has tons of quirks and bugs...

2. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

I tried this program out too last night trying to see if it would be better for my blog or not. Sure the form is nice but not the function. I think I feel a tad bit dumber today for using the program.

All the iLife suite consists of is simple programs for new users (though I might be back on board with iPhoto just for quick navigating and comments that work with Spotlight).

3. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

this is where i would normally suggest myPhoto :o

...but i haven't tested it w/iPhoto 6 yet since i haven't bothered to get a copy just yet

4. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

iWeb is going to get the ol' uninstall, it looks really pretty but it's all show and no go.

5. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

so all the pod/photocasting, blog, and webpage stuff works with a plain ftp account?

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah...just publish to a folder...and upload it yourself...
    the .mac thing makes it easier buy automatically uploading it automatically...(one click type thing)