quick response appreciated! New Proc won't boot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Dec 21, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-M55sli-s4 mobo (old proc amd ath 3500+)
    ocz 2x512 ram
    mobo website: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2310

new proc: phenom x4 9850 black edition

i get no output to the screen after installing hte new proc. installed it once, no output. took it off to update bios and installe it again (didn't replace thermal paste b/c it was on for literally 10 seconds first time). reset CMOS also, still no video output. took off and put on old proc - POST works.

thoughts? was it b/c i didn't replace thermal paste or what? i know cmos was reset and BIOS updated to F11J Beta before i took off the new proc b/c when i put the old one on all my settings were default and it displayed the new BIOS version. need any more details?

edit: looked at the AMD proc, seems some thermal paste leaked down to the pins. NOT ARCTIC SILVER 5. it was teh pad that came with it, meaning it should be non-conductive and not make a difference? It's definitely not enough to be blocking contact between the pins and the mobo

also, shouldn't matter that its the black edition, correct?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

does the mobo beep? do you have a PC speaker hooked up?

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

There's no on board speaker. Not sure if I could buy one and hook it up?

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well usually if your computer is having some sort of hardware problem before POSTing the motherboard will beep codes at you that you can look up in the mobo manual. i usually have old PC speakers laying around that i can plug in just for situations like that.

no other old computers laying around you could steal a PC speaker from?

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Hm I don't see anything on error codes in my mobo manual. I can check for another speaker in the morning, but do all mobos beep error codes and have a port to plug in a speaker? Cuz I'm not seeing and documentation on it.

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

gonna go see if they'll exchange the proc today

7. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I have an Asus motherboard with the same chipset, and I had a hell of a time getting my computer to boot when I first installed my 9850 BE. I did the same thing you did - updated to the newest beta BIOS, installed the new CPU, and proceeded to tear my hair out until I went back to the previous BIOS revision. My advice on this - find the first BIOS revision that supports that CPU, and start there.

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

So here's what it was. I can't believe it lol

The proc is listed under the CPU support list, but under BIOS Rev. it says "N/A" which means not supported :(

I just glanced at the list, saw it, and assumed that the latest BIOS would support it.

Boo.

Thanks for the help

9. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Ah...I was mistaken anyway, my board has the nForce 570 chipset which is apparently one generation newer than the nForce4 chipsets. You would be better served either buying a newer board and keeping the Phenom, or (if you've got the cash) starting over with an Intel platform. If neither of these options is in your budget, I've got an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ that could save you some money. ;)

10. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I had that happen to me on an old P4 HT proc, wouldn't boot at all. Cleaned it with a magnifying glass and a toothpick with alcohol on it, got it sparkling and it booted fine.

11. awns729

awns729 New Member

yeah, i decided to save myself a few bucks and not get that chipset. but had i spent a few extra bucks, i talked to tech support and they said i'd be able to pop in the phenom.

well if i'm buying a mobo anyway, i might as well go with intel it seems? i'm only home for a month and then back to college, so i think i'm going to hold off any big upgrades till summer and actually sell the phenom. plus, is it a good time to upgrade with socket am3 coming out? i guess it would be wise to go with a board that will get a BIOS update to letyou pop those in