A&P quick questions (exposure, focus)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by chic0, Feb 11, 2004.

1. chic0

chic0 New Member

Hi,

I recently got a Cannon PowerShot S400. I've read the manual, and understand most of the settings.

My first question is about exposure. When should you turn the exposure up or down? Do you turn it up when its dark, and down when its bright.

My other question is about focusing. How do you focus on the foreground and blurr the back ground? Does that have to do with how far you zoom? Also is there auto manual focus on the PowerShot S400? It doesn't say anything in the manual about manual focus, only auto focus.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

The longer the exposure, the more light that is captured/allowed in.

To blur the background, you need to adjust your aperature priority. This can be anywhere from 2.0-8.0 the lower value brings focuses on the foreground and blurs the back. An 8.0 creates more of an overall focus.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

s400 doesn't have ap control or shutter speed control. you can adjust it by using iso settings, where a setting of 50 would result in a longer shutter speed and 400. also, manual focus in not an option on the camera. it is a very simple, but good quality point and shoot, but just that. get the a80 or g3 if you want manual controls. to try and get better depth of field, get close to you subject, and have the subject far from any background

4. chic0

chic0 New Member

Thanks for the input.