Quick Question - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Worker#2, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Worker#2

Worker#2 New Member

Can wax bond to wax? Meaning can you effectively apply multiple layers of wax and there would be that many layers?

Reason is because Service Mgr of dealership said wax just cannot bond to wax, it is nonsense to apply more than one layer. I always thought that wax can be layered as long as it is pure wax and has no cleaning agent.

Please settle the score between me and service mgr. Thanks for all your time!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Once a wax or sealant has properly cured (usually 24 hours) you can apply another layer which will add more product that it removes. I don't think you can actually film build layer upon layer forever like the Zaino Nazis believe though.

Usually two applications is enough, mostly to ensure complete coverage. With carnauba waxes, you can put on several coats that will cause some distortion in the appearance of the paint which give greater depth but I don't think you get much more durability than a single application...but you may get more protection due to multiple layers.

I don't know that there is an actual way to prove that layering actually occurs in a measurable way but what you should point out to your service manager is that two layers ensures you didn't miss anything.

3. Worker#2

Worker#2 New Member

Thanks for the great in-dept response. Very informative. thanks again@