QUICK QUESTION: Using a Linksys WAP54G to extend a network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Keyzs, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Does anyone know if I can connect WIRELESS two WAP54G together? I have a device that only has a RJ45 network connection and I want to be able to connect it to the existing network without wires.

My thoughts:

Network ---> WAP54G < - wireless - > WAP54G <--- Device

I know there is bridges for this purpose, but I am very limited on time and have both WAP54G's.

Also is there such a thing as a RJ45 to wireless adapter? (The above soluition is a quick fix if it works, I would rather attach the device to the network than extend a network to it)

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You should be able to setup the second WAP54G with the same SSID and security settings if any and you should be good to go.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

You would think this would work, the instructions even tell us that.

I quickly learned this does not play nice with the rest of the network. Set the SSID the same, clicked the OK button... Instantly I had 30 employees on an extended coffee break.

The network storm calmed down, I reset the WAPs to factory settings, updated the firmware and followed the instructions to the letter. Plugged them back in, another coffee break.

I will start over again tomorrow.

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Since these two APs are only going to be communicating with each other wouldn't it be possible to use a SSID that isn't already in use by the rest of the company? :dunno:

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

That is the problem from yesterday. I was told the SSID was exclusive to the BRIDGE I was working on. Actually it was the same SSID of the OTHER WAP that was supplying the wireless users access that has nothing to do with this project.

The biggest lesson learned, drive 2 hours each way (Allegan) and do it myself instead of relying on someone there to actually know what they are talking about.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hmm... I have it setup that way at work here and all has been well...

I have 3 wireless routers/WAPs with the same SSID and security functions without any problems...

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Want to have some fun, switch one to BRIDGE mode and watch what happens. (Assuming when you say you have the same, meaning you have 3 WAP54Gs)

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Nope, I have 2 wireless routers and 1 WAP setup that way here at work, but they are different brands and none are Linksys's...